Followers

Saturday, June 10, 2023

With Talon and Claw- New Great Northern War Units

 

A while back I put my Russian and and Sweedish Armies into good order.  Enough to play a game.  This left a fair few figures to do. 

My figures are a mix of Dixon and Roundway.  The latter just about fit with Irregular, the former with Essex.

I need more Russians than Swedes so it was there I began.  In With Talon and Claw Russian battalions are either Regulation or All Musket.  One of the latter below.  Great for fire power not so good in melee.

 

Russian uniform details can be elusive. Regiments also went through an alarming range of coat and facing colour changes.  I'm not naming the units you can see here.  Suffice to say, at some stage in the GNW a Russian regiment wore the uniform colours you can see.

 

The excellent flags are mostly from Russian James.  The others, equally fine, from the better known Tacitus.  Check out https://russianjames.weebly.com/uniforms-and-colours-standards.html

All Dixon figures for the 2 units above.

 

Mainly Roundway for these fellows. I really like these musketeers. A shame they are no longer available.  I expect I'll do aother 2 Russian battalions as I have the figures.  My latest Dragoon regiment here.  Two squadrons.

 

Also in the works another two squadron regiments of Dragoons.  Mortar's, Field Guns and Battalion Guns.

And the Swedes?  To come, three battalions and a Cavalry squadron, some artillery too.  Also, the Guard Grenadiers.  I need to buy the Grenadiers, shock!  I thought I'd done buying for the GNW.

 


16 comments:

  1. Splendid work! The troopers in the light blue coats will ‘pop’ on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jonathan. I was very pleased to find a flag for them in the same colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work and the thing is about the Russians is they can stand in for so many regiments, as you say information is sketchy at best. Like you I find it a shame that Roundway are no longer available, they had some great figures that look super en masse. Looking forward to seeing more of you project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie. A few Swedish units next week. Yeah, Roundway is a miss. I'm just painting a couple of their cannons-very nice pieces.

      Delete
  4. Lovely work as always and I'm surprised at how much variety and changes of uniform the Russians had/went through during this period.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent brushwork Sir! I do like the light blue Dragoons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work on these and know EXACTLY what you mean about GNW Russians, having just completed four battalions of them using hard plastic Warlord ( ex Wargames Factory) figures, while awaiting the arrival of six btn worth of metal from Nick at Ebor! Nice to have all that variety, but as has been pointed out to me, in reality, the majority would have been in the "standard" green faced red.....I must paint a few in that uniform!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith. Yeah, a timely reminder! I'v just uncovered enough figures to do two Russian grenadier battalions. Different style caps so that's good. Both are getting the red on green treatment.

      Delete
  7. Inspiring work on those cavalrymen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very kind Richard, thank you. I may add another squadron. Newly discovered figures have come into play.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, varied looking Russians!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Iain. I've just discovered figures enough for a couple of Russian Grenadier battalions.

    ReplyDelete