Followers

Saturday, January 27, 2024

A Crimean War French 15mm Contingent


 

I bought most of my Crimean War French at a happy discount. These are all Minifigs.  The selection reflects what was cheaply available.  


The French had a good Crimean War as such things go. Obviously, the reality as for all other combatants was horrific.

Let us start with the cavalry.





I have a sole squadron of Spahis.  Great soldiers, great rig out.


Here, we have the Chasseurs d Afrique.  Two full squadrons and a half squadron.  I might bring them up to three full squadrons. These were excellent troops.  Experienced, fierce and well led. 

I do wonder how well they, and the Spahis, coped with the Crimean Winter.  

I would like a squadron or two of Dragoons.  No one makes them in 15mm.  If I bought some Napoleonic Empress Dragoons and filed their boot tops down flush, I would be pretty close.  

The more I think about it the better I like it.  Minifigs of course to match the rest.  This below, is what I'm aiming for.  Different facing colours for the Crimean ones of course.



Now to the infantry.  Effectively I have two Brigades.  I might be able to push it to three.

Here we have the Chasseurs a Pied.  Solid lads and, this is important, equipped with Minié Rifle.  As you can see I have based them as skirmish troops.

Next we have the Imperial Guard, one battalion only.  Again armed with the Minié. 

These are intended to be brigaded with the Zouaves of the Guard.  Also Minié armed. My Zouaves are from Irregular. We will see them next time. This gives me a small but high quality brigade.  

They could get some Chasseurs allocated too. 


Or indeed, the next fellows.

The Algerians.  Tough as teak.  Minié armed too I believe.

Next we have two battalions of line infantry.  All armed with smoothbore muskets. 

Good soldiers.  I have enough figures for a third battalion.

You can see the permutations available to me when forming brigades.

Artillery support is on order.



Finally, here are my French General and Brigadiers. I need another two Brigadiers.

Soon, we will see the Turks, Horse, Foot and Guns.  

Then it is on to the two big collections of British and Russians.  Most of which are now done.

The second part of my analysis of Captain Godman's Balaclava letters will be next up.  I want to illustrate some key points using miniatures.  Said miniatures are still being painted.

8 comments:

  1. You are making great progress on this collection, looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much. I'm nearly there. Of course I'm now wondering if I should go 4 bases to a unit. That would make me nearly not there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fine work and the French do have a nice mix of troops to make the conflict more colourful! As for bases, I think 3 works perfectly well. Looking forward to more on the letters front.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Steve. They do indeed.

    If sanity prevails I'll stick to three bases.

    The next two instalments on Captain Godman's letters are written. I'll post the first of them next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Richard. Three more French units to come and the artillery and they're done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would it not be easier to start with the French dragoon figure from the Minifigs Franco-Prussian range if you want to do a conversion job?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I nearly did Rob. I have a load of them, part of a job lot. The tunic is wrong. Of course I could have filed it off but I think filing boot tops will be easier and neater.

    ReplyDelete