Followers

Sunday, February 18, 2024

Crimean War Russian Infantry 15mm



Look at the stirring picture above.  It is of the defence of Sebastopol.  I believe the gunners are all Sailors from the Russian Navy.  Their caps are clearly blue with a red trim.  Two of the Great Coats shown are also blue.  The other two respectively seem light brown and green to my eye.  The lad aiming the gun is wearing some sort of wrap around affair.  In a siege you wear whatever you can.

Naturally I painted a Naval unit for my Crimean War Russians.  Predictably I did the gun and crew too.  I may have painted the legend so far as coat colours go.  Russian topcoats seem to have shaded from brown to grey.  Anyhow, here they are.



The figures are from Irregular and the flag from David at Not By Appointment.  He tells me I have it upside down.  I must see to that. It looks splendid all the same.


The rest of this post is something of a Crimean War Russian Infantry parade.  The British and the French had a good opinion of the Russian infantry.



I have a fair few units so we are going to show them by brigade.  The flags are from Maverick Models.  You cannot go wrong with Maverick.


The figures are from Irregular and Minifigs.  Mostly in separate units.  Although they are mixable at a push.




There is a perception that Russian infantry did not do much shooting.  in fact they did and to some good effect too.  They were of course badly outranged by the Minié rifle and such like.




I also have some Circassian rifle armed troops.  



A couple of units.  Here I have used both Minifigs and Irregular on the same bases.




There were other rifle armed Russian troops-just not many of them.  Often found in penny packets alongside the musket armed battalions.  A bit like how the British Rifles were often deployed.  Captain Godman reports the Light Brigade coming under Minié fire.  I can only presume he was using Minié as a generic.


I may add another base to each of the grenadier battalions.  Otherwise, that is the Russian infantry done. 



 

10 comments:

  1. What a nice mix of units there OB and the Crimean War certainly seems to be a la mode at present:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Yeah, judging by the blogs I look at it is back in fashion. Good to see.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Richard. I think they have the right look for the Crimean War. Six to a base paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great OB - and I am now looking forward to all those red coated Brits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Keith, I took the photos yesterday. Like the pic's above I did them by Brigade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Ray and glad you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete