Followers

Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Crimean War Russian Cavalry in 15mm

 

 


My research and reading is steadily increasing my knowledge of how the Crimean war was actually fought.  

Captain Godman's letters were illuminating and have yet more to tell us.  At Balaclava the Russian attempted to bold cavalry strokes. Neither bore fruit.  One was stymied by Scarlett and the Heavy Brigade, the other stopped by previously unseen infantry and artillery.

In both cases the Russian cavalry withdrew in good order.  Ready for another chance.

I lack the Russian perspective to say more.  I have found an interesting French source.  The Turks present another lacuna. Of course others have been there before me.



I am reliably informed that Barry Hilton's Crimean War rules (Four Empires) are already written.  If you want thoroughly informed and fun wargame rules Barry is your man in my experience.  However his attention is currently elsewhere on other projects. I'm not complaining, two of them are right up my street.  We must wait for his Crimean War Opus.



Nolan had something to say about Turks and Cossacks.  I'll report back on that at sometime soonish.  I recall that he thought the Turkish Cavalry of his time much inferior to their forebears.

I have been busy painting.  Today, we see my Russian cavalry progress.  The figures are from Irregular and Minifigs.  All 15mm as you might expect. 



Irregular Miniatures Russian Dragoons.  These lads have their carbines at the ready.  Not often seen in the Crimean War but common enough on Russia's eastern borders.  



That said they seem to have been used by Russian Hussars against the British Heavy Brigade at Balaclava.  Godman mentions some carbines littering the ground post action. 





Russian Heavy Cavalry from Minifigs.  The flags are from Adolfo Ramos and very jolly they are too.
 


More of the same below.


Russian Hussars, again from Minifigs.


Two squadrons from Irregular below.


Minifig's Circassian Lancers here.  Nolan had nothing but good things to say about Circassian Cavalry. Adept with lance, sword and gun.  As for riding skills, move over Comanches.


Cossacks!  From Minifig's.  I nearly based these lads as irregular cavalry. I'm going to rate these as "Raw Elite" I think.



For action further East I do have some truly irregular Cossacks.


I have  two more squadrons to do but I'm nearly there.  Here are the 7th Vosnesenski Ulhans.  These, from Irregular, are modelled with open Greatcoats.  It enables us to see the colourful uniform worn beneath. 




Lord Raglan, I have read, was pre occupied with potential sweeping flank attacks by the Russian cavalry.  He made provision for that by reserving the British cavalry.  

Someone, was it Nolan? Complained "He is keeping the cavalry in a Bandbox!" An interesting detail from the period.  A bandbox was a hat box, sturdy enough to prevent damage.  You get the idea.

How to rate the Russian Cavalry?   Pretty much the same as the British for the regulars.  Use of the "Elite" suffix for some could stimulate reckless action. Not that we see that from the Russian cavalry. In fighting quality it will be "Trained" all round.

Where we see the Russian cavalry in Godman's account they are always in good order.  Even when thwarted.  They did not go to pieces under artillery fire or when they disengaged from the Heavy Brigade.  They successfully covered a retreat by their infantry on one occasion.  Trained seems a fair assessment.

It occurs to me that better use could have been made of the scouting abilities of the Cossacks.  Yet, I hesitate.  Without Russian sources I cannot take an informed view. 

The great days of cavalry were near enough over.  The officers and troopers were brave but a new reality loomed over them.  

Witness the Russian artillery strike on the Heavy Brigade that Godman recounts.  I have read subsequent that the total casualties of that strike was 83 dead or wounded.  That is for the whole of the Heavy Brigade.  

Naturally horses would have been killed and wounded too.  I do not know how many.  Replacement horses were not easily obtained.  No horse and your trooper cannot do his work.

Of course that need not stop us on the table top where the learning will be painless.  I will essay gallant charges and sweeping flank actions and report back to you.









10 comments:

  1. A great collection of Russian cavalry. I like the Irregular Cossacks, they look a handful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ray. I have ended up with more than I planned for. That seems to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb cavalry and info. The Crimean project is growing beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Richard. I'm nearly finished painting for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fine collection of Russian cavalry… It will be good to see them in action…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Aly. I shall post a piece on the British Cavalry fairly soon. Three figures to paint and their done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. More nice units and info as always OB. Whilst reading about the Great Game recently, I was struck buy how thinly spread the Russians were, as they tried to expand Eastwards, with Cossack cavalry often to the fore in this respect. Possibly one reason they might not have had as much cavalry and of decent quality as they would have liked?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice collection of cavalry and as always, the background information is most interesting. I suspect Nolans view of "modern" Turkish cavalry would have been similar to, and coloured by, his experience of "European-ised" Indian cavalry, as you have previously outlined in your blog post about the mutiny etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely spot on. Nolan was taking a global view. Establishing universal good practice if you like. Glad you like the toys.

      Delete
  9. Thanks Steve.

    Yeah they were on the move.

    The Cossacks were the nearest the Russians had to the horsemen of the East. They were also pre paid in the sense that they served for tax exemption. Also there were lots of them. The Circassians were wonderful multi purpose cavalry but there were not many of them by comparison.

    Godman comments on just how many Russian regular cavalry there were. Nolan expresses no negative view of the Russian regular cavalry. He thought they would beat the Turks and they did. I think they were probably standard European Cavalry. Were there enough of them? I don't know. It might depend on where and when.

    Speaking of the Great Game. I have a Qajar Persian Army that i intend to game against my Crimean War Russians. If you have not seen them click the Qajar link in the side bar. It should be an interesting game.

    ReplyDelete