Followers

Monday, December 7, 2020

A new French Army for Flanders - League of Augsburg 15mm

The news of Barry Hilton’s forthcoming “A Taste of Victory” must surely have stirred the Lily Banners everywhere.   

 

It is a collection of 18 scenarios for the late 17th/early18th centuries.  It may also have carried a fiendish subliminal message because I bought a new French Army.  I watched Mad Men, I know how this stuff works.

Consequent of what was obviously a premonition, I’ve already got Rene Chartrand’s three fine volumes Armies of the Sun King from Helion.

Luckily, I also have three French battalions as part of my Jacobite Irish collection.  In addition, some of my red coated Jacobite Irish Regulars can be repurposed as the famous Irish Brigade.  I’ll go for 2 battalions, maybe 3. They will need new colours and that means new command stands. 

A word about flags here.  Most of mine for this project are coming from the excellent Not by Appointment blog.Feast your eyes.

https://nba-sywtemplates.blogspot.com/

Here is the old Regiment Navarre complete with Not by Appointment flags. Shortly they will get a stand of pikes.

 

The Kronoskaf SYW site is also worth a visit. Luckily many French flags didn’t change at all and so some 7YW flags can be used.  I've used the Royal cavalry regiment one below.

You will also be seeing flags from Flags of War and The League of Augsburg.  I’m checking against the Chartrand books to make sure I’m using the right ones.

All good, I also want to have roughly third of the Army to be comprised of cavalry.  For me that means 6 squadrons. Two of these will be from an elite formation. For the remainder I’ve fixed on the regiments Royal, Orleans and la Reine.  I’m still pondering the final one.  Here is a squadron of the Royal regiment.

 

I’ll also want a couple of Dragoon regiments. 

All this means new toys.  To start off I’ve ordered two, 100 pieces, armies from Irregular Miniatures. One French and one Dutch. They are excellent value.  I like Irregular’s LOA figures, they have loads of variety and a campaign look. Here is regiment Dauphin. 

 

I added shoulder ribbons for the Grenadiers.  Flags from Not by Appointment.

I don’t know exactly what I’ll be getting figure wise so I’ll do a blog on the armies when they arrive.  My working hypothesis is that the Dutch may have more Firelock and the French more Matchlock.  No matter, I’ll find a use for them all.  I also have plans for Monmouth’s short- lived and fatal adventure.

A list of my intended regiments with uniform details will follow.  They might be useful to others and will keep me on track with painting.

10 comments:

  1. I also am a big fan of Barry Hilton and his always top notch work. My armies are 18mm Great Northern War. Good luck on your project, this period really seems to call for large armies and big battles so it's a lot to collect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Barry's stuff is very good. I've got GNW armies too as a work in progress.

    I've already got a LOA Allied Army and Irish and Scots Jacbite ones. The French one is going to take sometime. Not least because the stuff I've ordered mostly hasn't arrived yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get in! The figures look fab and I shall look forward to see more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Ray. I doubt I'll equal your own massive 15mm LOA/NYW collection. There will be a fair few all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking great, both figures and flags! :-) Thanks for mentioning my blog and the flags. It will be interesting to see what other regiments you are planning and how many of the flags I have already done. I rather like many of the flags of regiments that disappeared after the WAS and would like to do some of those too... (I am rather addicted to French 17th/18th century flags.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks David. I think a lot of us are going to benefit from your artistry and enthusiasm.

    I'm stymied at the moment as my order is still dawdling its way to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are really fine. Whose castings are you using? They look excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks very much. They are all from Irregular Miniatures apart from the infantry drummers, 1 from Dixon with Navarre, 1 from Essex with Dauphin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely troops for an ear that I have only very limited knowledge of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Much appreciated Peter. It's a great period to game. I think we owe Barry Hilton a lot for successfully popularising it.

    I'm mostly a Piquet guy but for this one I use Barry's rules.

    ReplyDelete