Followers

Thursday, December 17, 2020

League of Augsburg 15mm - A Little Progress

Above, you can see the first squadron of the French la Reine regiment.  Figures from Irregular and the flag is from Kronoskaf.

I’ve been doing my research.  These are uniforms of the line battalions I intend to paint first. Regiments in bold are done.

Regiment

coat

Hat trim/buttons

Cuffs lining

breeches

stockings

flag from?

Bretagne

Grey

yellow

Grey

Grey

white

NBA

Navarre

 

Grey

yellow

Grey

Grey

white

NBA

Dauphin

Grey

yellow

Blue

Grey

Blue

NBA

Royal Vaisseaux

Grey

yellow

Blue

Grey

white

NBA

Royal Italien

Brown

yellow

Red

Red

Red

NBA

Greder

(German)

light blue

yellow

yellow

Grey

white


While waiting for the troops to arrive for the above I thought I’d keep my hand in with what I had. 

Here is a levy battalion that would do for Monmouth or the Jacobites.  As you can see the local Squire is there with a cadre of regulars or militia.  The rest are his tenants.  They will fight under an improvised green banner, easy to recognise and with no discernible political allegiance and so can be used for any side. They are armed with repurposed scythes and whatever else they think fit to use.


Having swung a scythe as a boy I can attest that they are terrifying implements.  A scythe on a pole makes a fearsome weapon.  On the other hand, these lads are not trained soldiers and morale is brittle.  Also, they cannot hope to engage in a fire fight. I intend three battalions of them with red, blue and green unadorned flags.


I was interested to note that the French sent lots of scythe blades to Ireland along with other weapons.  Mike McNally takes the view that this is because many of the Irish senior officers had fought in the Royal Army at Sedgemoor.  They had seen what untrained men could do with them at that battle.

Reinforcements have arrived and I now have a lot of painting in front of me.  I also have to add shoulder and hat ribbons to 32 figures to make two battalions of the French Guard. It's a fiddly and time consuming job in 15mm.  Then, I need to accurately paint the lace on their coats.  The latter is quite challenging in 15mm.  Nothing daunted here is the work in progress.


Here are some musket armed levies.  Depending upon their background they might prove to be good shots.  They naturally fight in looser order than regular troops.  Once again, they will do for any side.


Back to the regulars.  Another look at the first squadron of the French Regiment la Reine.  Note the Queen’s livery on the musician.  This regiment will get two squadrons as will Regiment Royal.


Now, a Dutch cavalry regiment.  This one was half finished a couple of years ago so I thought I’d finish the job.


Much more LOA stuff soon.

7 comments:

  1. Marvelous, those Irregular troops paint up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice OB, did I ever send you my flag file?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ray.

    Your flag file would be dead handy. I'll send you my email via the contact facility on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some handsome troops, and good overall progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks very much.

    I'm on a bit of a roll at the mo'. I should have more done before Christmas. Hopefully including the first of the French Guard infantry units.

    ReplyDelete