Followers

Sunday, April 10, 2022

Towards a Later Achaemenid Persian Army- Part 1

 

There comes a time in a man’s life when he looks to his Achaemenids. I was disappointed when I saw mine.  A mixture of old and newish, finished and unfinished.  It was a semi derelict project in desperate need of renovation.  Something had to be done, so I did it.

Where better to start than the essential Greek Hoplites.  The newest and the best of mine are from Forged in Battle. 

They came my way via a splendid ebay bargain.  They are a joy to paint.

Next, a mixture. Some Essex Hoplites with added QRF aspis shields.  The Essex ones come with a cast on non hoplon shield, no rim. So I cut off the originals. The clue’s in the name lads.


Gladiator Hoplites above and below as well.  Nice figures and correct shields.  The spear is way too short though. 

Back in the day the Gladiator Hoplites were,in my opinion, the best of what was available.  There is a Minfig officer in the next pic'.


There are enough of the above to provide a heavy infantry core for a Later Achaemenid Persian Army for use with Simon MacDowell's Civitates Bellantes (A sort of Classical Comitatus) or Piquet’s Pulse of Battle.

Of course, we would betray the spirit of the thing if we missed out on the four horsed scythed chariots. First QRF’s version, a good one I think.

 

I’ve had to use bigger bases to prevent the scythes getting knocked off. Of course my scythed chariots will also see service with Mithridates Scourge of the Romans.

 

Above and below one from Essex.  


Pleasantly, I found that most of my Persian cavalry were done and based needing only a tuft or two to cheer them up.  That may seem an odd thing to write.  Dear Reader, this project began 30 years ago.  We will see them all shortly.  

In other news I've finally learned to use my pin vise drill without snapping the bit.  As a result some very nice Xyston Satrapal cavalry are having their moment on the painting table.

12 comments:

  1. Nice to see an old project revitalised

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is. Like many of us I started off with Greeks and Persians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first ancient army was a Persian one, inspired by Charles Grant. Like the real thing it was formed from all sorts. Long since gone. I eventually bought replacements in both 15mm and 28mm which languish unpainted awaiting time and effort.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had that book too Neil. Garrison and Hinchcliffe 25mm bought in small batches every Saturday. I liked Garrison more but you got whatever you could.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking hopolites and scythed chariots, how's your Italians wars project going?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. The Italian Wars stuff is due a return here. The rules are written and I have 18 pikes and an organ gun to finish then we can see how they play.

      Delete
  6. Love the chariots. Not sure that I would want to play against them though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Richard. I wonder how well they will do. Should be fun either way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of those lovely looking Ancients armies that I've often considered, but somehow have never gotten around to giving a go. I think if I found some rules I liked, then things might get into gear...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to post an AAR of a game of Civitates Belantes here. That might interest you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice figures OB.i do like Ancient Greeks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Ray, yeah an old favorite. I'll be able to do Successor battles too and Mithridates.

    ReplyDelete