Followers

Friday, March 31, 2023

French Command and Cavalry 1870

 


Cavalry had a very rough ride in the Franco-Prussian War.  Their time was nearly done.  Casualties were heavy.  Yet, there they were delivering charges from another era.  I'm limiting myself to one unit of each of the types I have.  Above the Lancers.

The Cuirassiers here.

The Dragoons, badly in need of a touch or two of paint.


The Spahis, can't beat them for colour.  Good troops too.  The Chasseurs de Afrique are on the to do list.


Here is the French General with his Brigadiers.  

 


Two more to come. Next the German Cavalry and then a bit of painting to bring the numbers up.

10 comments:

  1. Lovely stuff. Poor cavalry are just there for target practice. However, I have a few and they can make for interesting pre-game scouting engagements before the infantry arrives to blow them out of their saddles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Richard.

    That's about the size of it. Cavalry on cavalry clashes will have to do before the suicidal charges against infantry or guns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work there OB. Sadly I bought far too much cavalry for my 19thC games, not realising that they were rarely used battle. Still they do get the odd outing now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve and I hear you. I've double the amount of cavalry you see here.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Cheers Neil, a couple more units to paint and I there or there abouts.

      Delete
  5. Great figures OB. They look very smart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cavalry certainly had an increasingly hard gig as the nineteenth century progressed....even in the Napoleonic era, under our current house rules, they have to keep out of everyones line of fire, or they drop like flies! They do look pretty, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty counts, and you would wonder why? Mind you, the Boers! Mounted infantry you might think, but they shot from the saddle once upon a time. FPW cavalry didn't. I suppose we might wonder and I could tell a story or two. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete