Followers

Wednesday, April 5, 2023

League of Augsburg-New Units

 

I had a quick look at my League of Augsburg Dutch contingent.  Four battalions of infantry and ditto squadrons of cavalry if you count Eppinger’s dragoons.  A bit sparse I thought, though there is also battery of guns.  I have the English too of course.  All the same I felt I was a bit Grand Alliance light for Continental fights. I set to work.

 


The van Keppel infantry above.  Substitute the centre stand with the colours and they could be Clare’s or Hastings regiments.  Doubtless many others too.  It is part of the appeal of the period.  Figures from Irregular and Essex.

 


Nassau-Friesland here and I suspect I've made a flag mistake. Figures from Dixon, Irregular and Essex. Shortly to be joined by the van Marquette/van Pallandt infantry.  The latter are on their way from the ever- speedy Irregular Miniatures. 

I should say that some of these units will need their pike men added in a separate stand.  This is in hand for all of my period units so equipped.  Not as big a task as it may sound.  I have to buy and paint 2 additional figures to my existing pike men and rebase.

 


For cavalry I opted to do van Ginkel’s troopers with their distinctive straw-coloured coats.  Many Dutch cavalry units were smallish affairs. These fellows might be getting a second squadron because I like the uniform.

 

Next, we have two squadrons of van Ittersum’s Horse later known as Aughrim’s Horse.

I’ve added a Danish squadron too.  The Dutch liked to hire Danish troops.

As it stands all this will bring my Dutch contingent up to 7 battalions of Foot, 6 Squadrons of Horse, two of Dragoons and the artillery.

I continue to appreciate Irregular Miniature’s League of Augsburg range.  Most of the figures above are from them.  There are two of Ray's Nine Years War flags above.  The others are all from Kronoskaf.

17 comments:

  1. Very nice work! I have never seen an Irregular figure in-hand. Maybe I ought to test the waters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. The Irregular Army Deal is well worth a look if you fancy getting into the League of Augsburg. Very cost effective.

      Delete
  2. Superbly done. Irregular miniatures do have a few gems in their ranges

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciated Neil. Yes, some of their ranges are very nice indeed.

      Delete
  3. Cracking work, very nice additions to your Dutch contingent. Irregular have some cracking figures in their massive catalogue. always worth a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie. I'm particularly fond of this range. I also have a lot of earlier Colonial stuff, mid 19th Century.

      Delete
  4. Smashing paint job and units. Are they based for Beneath the Lily Banners rules?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Richard, yes they are. I find BLB gives a great game for this period.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice work as always OB. I still have my lovely Pendraken LoA figures in zip lock bags, awaiting their turn at some distant point in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Steve. I think those Pendraken LoA are lovely. Clibinarium sculpts and he's a talented lad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice- great period and lovely regiments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I hope to photograph another batch tomorrow.

      Delete
  9. Great stuff again OB - I am looking again at BLB having found a PowerPoint of several mini scenarios I can fit on my solo 3 x 3 table - just trying to work out a way to give the rules a go solo (I have played them against a mate a couple of times a few years ago) See here for example https://1808534.blogspot.com/2021/02/tuesday-night-game-beneath-lilly-banners.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Much appreciated! I love BLB. It accomodates smaller games perfectly. I've got a small game of 3 regiments of Foot storming a village held by Dragoons coming up shortly. I've not actually played that part of the rules before so it will be a treat.
    Thanks for the link I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Missed these earlier - excellent additions!

    ReplyDelete