Followers

Saturday, July 8, 2023

A Crimean War Project in 15mm

 


The more I read Brent Oman’s Battle Command the more I think it will be great for Crimean War games. 

Talking of rules. I recall Barry Hilton’s intention to produce a Crimean War supplement for his Republic to Empire rules.  So far, he hasn’t yet progressed it-at least in public. 

He has given us War of Three Kings, With Talon and Claw, Donnybrook and more.  Naval rules too.  In due course I suspect he will return to the Crimean War.  I hope he does.

Sometimes projects have their own internal clock.  I can only paint what I want to paint. I have three figures outstanding to complete a GNW Russian cavaly unit.  At the moment I don't feel like painting them.

Likewise with writing rules.  My SCW rules are complete, Gonzalo near enough, as are Flodden and Santiago!  My Crusades rules need only the game tokens. I ordered the mdf rounds for them today.  The designs have been printed.

I will get to all of my projects when my internal clock tells me to press on.  That being the essential distinction between work and hobby.  In a hobby you do what you feel like doing.

I like Barry’s gaming approach and have a copy of Republic to Empire.  Almost inevitably I am inspired by them to produce a Crimean game.  If I get anywhere, I will report back.   

All this cogitation had me reaching for my Crimean War Collection.  It was in poor order and needed refurbishment.  How is that going?  Not bad.  You can see my progress below.

 

 Here we have units of the Light Brigade.

 


Irregular Miniatures all.   

 


I like their Crimean War cavalry a great deal.  They have a campaign look to my eye.

 


And, here some of the Heavy Brigade.

 


Also both from Irregular.

 


Two from the Highland Brigade, shortly to be joined by a third.   

 


Both Minifigs figures and very nice they are too.

 


I will have more to show on this one soon. 


Above British Rifles.  I'll be doing Cathcart's 4th Division too, because I'm sporting like that.  Smoothbore muskets for the 4th.

 

8 comments:

  1. Nice collection of Crimean Brits OB....I will be watching the refurbishment project with interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I just located a load of unpainted figures too.

      Delete
  2. The Crimea does seem to be gaining traction at present, with yours and a few other Blogs putting up posts on the campaign. I wholeheartedly agree about the hobby versus work aspect, so I too only paint stuff etc when the Muse is upon me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Steve, the Muse counts!

      We must be looking at the same blogs. I see the lads are rebasing as well.

      I could wish we had a few translated Russian accounts.

      Delete
  3. Nice units you've done there. Good luck with the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Richard. The rules are coming along at a good clip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice- Years ago I had an impulse buy of a couple of hundred Crimean war figures in 15mm....I think I'll start painting them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks John. Good luck with the painting!

    ReplyDelete