Followers

Monday, July 24, 2023

More 15mm for the Crimean War

 


I’ve made some progress with the Russian infantry.  The first thing to note is that Russian infantry regiments were big, up to four battalions.  That is the equivalent of a British brigade. 

Add a Sotnia of Cossacks and supporting artillery as the Russians often did. Well, could we say a small Division?  Whatever we should call it, that is what I am seeking to replicate.

This is nearly my first Russian musketeer regiment.  I say nearly because they are missing their grenadiers.  The figures are painted but the flags are in the post. Above, we have some skirmishers from Minifigs.

A battalion in caps from Irregular.

 

A battalion in helmets also from Irregular.

A Sotnia of Cossacks from Minifigs.

Some Caucasian Rifles skirmishing.

 
I intend to add a Jager regiment and a Grenadier regiment.  Probably 4 battalions for the Jagers and two for the Grenadiers.  I’m also minded to do a unit of sailors in their navy blue greatcoats and caps and perhaps another musketeer regiment.

Here we have a unit of Russian Lancers from Irregular. I have a fair few Russian cavalry units to do.  I have read that some such units had the leading squadron lance armed and the rest with sabres. 

For the British, the Guards are waiting for some new figures but are mainly done.  We will see them shortly.  The heavy lifting will be Cathcart’s 4th Division.  British uniforms were elaborate and unlike the Russians the soldiers are modelled in their tunics rather than greatcoats. Below HM 57th from Irregular.  I confess painting the lace on the front of their tunics was beyond my ability.  Strangely, I was able to do so with the Minfigs British. Fiddly cuff detail and trouser stripes were duly applied to both.

I expect to do two brigades of the 4th Division.  Which regiments depends on the availability of flags in 15mm. The brigades then, may not exactly match their historical progenitors. 

I’m using Maverick Miniatures flags here so far and I commend them to you.  A good product and price.  Customer care is all you could ask. 

For the Russian cavalry I shall look to Adolfo Ramos who seems to be the sole provider of such.  I’ve used his flags before and I’m happy to do so again.  Another quality product.

We will see some Russian artillery soon.  I feared I had too many guns but I do not.  The Russians used lots of them.  Firepower for them seems to have rested mainly with artillery and skirmishers.

You may have noticed I'm basing skirmishers in 4s.  There is a reason for that.  We will get to it as this project rolls on.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely work there OB and this project is moving along at a nice and steady pace:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. It is mainly a case of a little paint touch up and rebasing. So it's fair nipping along so far.

      Delete
  2. Some nice progress being made there OB - I always base my skirmishers in lesser numbers - normally I might have units of 18 for standard line ( 6 x 3 per base) but riflemen (for example) will only be 2 per base - I just think it is natural that skirmish or light troops should be less densely packed than line units in the Napoleonic era (or anything between 1750 and 1850 ish - which includes the Crimea in my book!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith. Yeah, it makes sense.

      I have become steadily imersed in Barry Hilton's Republic to Empire. There he uses four figures as the basic "fighting Group" that produces a dice. He bases his skirmishers in twos. I thought 4s less fiddly in 15mm.

      Delete
  3. Excellent looking figures OB, How do the Irregular Russian Cav match up in size to the Minifigs. Postie's been after some Russian Lancers for a few years now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ray.
    Irregular Cav are bigger than Minifigs Cav. I don't think they would work together in the same unit. I'll post a couple of compairison pics in my next Crimean War post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Richard I've just ordered some custom made playing aides to help the cause. We will see them once they arrive.

    ReplyDelete