Followers

Sunday, September 13, 2026

Four Covenanter Infantry Regiments

 


With these little chaps my Covenanter Regiments of Foot are done. Three Brigades, 2 of three regiments and one of 2 regiments.

Above an unknown Regiment's colours captured Dunbar, 1650. It is unusual as it bears the devices of 4 families; Wemyss, Forbes, Douglas and Sinclair. A composite regiment made of transferred Companies? I don’t know.

The figures are from Peter Pig. The central Ensign has an expensive buff coat. Either lucky or gentry then. Note also the expensive dyed clothes. I considered giving him a sash but thought to let the paint do the work.


Argyle's Lowland Regiment. "Sallow faced" as Iain Lom said surveying their corpses at Inverlochy.  Highlanders having a more ruddy look, presumably. 

Pike and shot equipped of course. We will have reason to speak of them again in a future post. Black and Yellow were Campbell colours. That said I don't know how this regiment's colours appeared in reality. Figures from Essex, QRF and Peter Pig.


Another unknown regiment. The central colour with it's five dot device is a puzzle. Significant to a family? Or, just denoting the fifth company of a Regiment? I hope not the latter. The figures are from Essex and Peter Pig. The central Ensign has a cuirass and a nice blue suit of clothes.


McKenzie of Seaforth's Regiment.  Highlanders and equipped with pike and shot.  The pike men are conversions. 

Sometimes Covenanter and sometimes not. Accordingly the flags proclaim no loyalty beyond that of Clan McKenzie. Flags from Ray at Don't Throw a 1 with stars added by me to denote Company.  I'm learning new stuff.

Figures from Essex, Lurkio and , Peter Pig.

Soon I want to complete the Covenanter Cavalry. Three regiments, that's  12 figures a piece, 2 squadrons. One will be Lancers the other two, pistol armed troopers.

Did I mention the Guns? Frames and a Field Piece to come. Next week we will either have Highlanders or more Russian Civil War.

No comments:

Post a Comment