Followers

Saturday, December 11, 2021

The Pope's Army and the Red Shirts

I should be bringing you my first game of Gonzalo but events have intervened.  The Gonzalo game will appear when things return to a gentler post Christmas pace.   In the meantime I thought I should post something and this one has the virtue of being about Italy too.

A while ago (3 years) I thought I'd do something (else) different for Rebels and Patriots and spurred on by a QRF sale bought some lads for the Pope and Garibaldi.  

Here we see the Papal Chasseurs, lively and jolly figures.  Light cavalry.



Here are the Irish perhaps a tad more dapper than the reality.  They could fight though.



These little fellows are also from QRF, nice and lively with good detail.  They were all volunteers from Ireland and included some men with military experience.  Myles Keogh, who died at the Little Big Horn with Custer was one of them.  They fought aggressively through out the war and with great distinction despite being equipped with inferior rifles. I’m rating them Shock Infantry @ 6 points.



These Papal Zouaves are from Peter Pig's ACW range as the QRF ones don't look like the images I've seen of the unit.  To me the QRF'ers look like Ridgeway period Canadians, a good thing if further research confirms it.


The Zouaves had a fearsome reputation.


That's as far as I got.  This project is currently way down the painting list but I think it has potential.

6 comments:

  1. Some great looking figures. Love the different uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, yeah nice uniforms for all concerned.

      Delete
  2. Interesting period - with great uniforms. I like the Irish in their green!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is John. There is doubt as to how many of the Irish got the full uniform but I couldn't resist painting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting period to game for sure and you've got some lovely units on show there. The Irish do look very fetching and not a uniform colour you normally see on the wargames table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Steve, QRF's Red Shirts are nice figures too, lots of poses. I'll get to them eventually.

    ReplyDelete