Followers

Monday, November 8, 2021

Command and Control – The Great Italian Wars

 

Command and Control was problematic in the Great Italian Wars.


The Spanish Army probably had the best of it.  Mostly Spanish soldiers obeyed orders and acted on instruction. For them greatness beckoned. 


Not so the French majoring as they did in Gendarmes and Swiss infantry.

The aristocratic Gendarmes found it difficult to follow orders that prevented them immediately setting about the foe. 

Likewise, the distinctly non aristocratic Swiss infantry.  The Swiss knew they were battle winners and often got bored with the elaborations of Generals.  Sometimes they had already made their own battle plans. On other occasions they simply decided to hurry things up.  Consequently, the excellent and expensive French artillery often found itself to be redundant.


Italian armies could produce surprises too.  The Italian states famously employed professional mercenary companies. They also experimented with arming and raising soldiers from their own populations.  This progressed into arming, training and paying the men involved. 


Such troops could be volatile.  Sometimes, they ran early and fast.  They could
also move immediately to charge and fight fiercely against the despoilers of their patrimony.  Other times they simply did their best and obeyed orders.

Here is an extract from the current “Command and Control” section of draft 1 of Gonzalo.

“This is a card activated game for the Italian Wars. It is intended for solo or two player games, or multiples of two.

To play it you need to make a card, or cards, for every unit and commander you intend to field.  The resulting card deck will contain a card for every unit and commander, two cards for each Swiss unit and some special cards.

The special cards are called Artillery, Rally, Run and Charge.

When the Artillery Card is turned both sides may fire their artillery at any available target they choose.  All deployed guns may fire twice on each Artillery Card.

The Rally Card enables both players to attempt to rally any of their units that are in trouble(define). To rally a unit, throw a D6 a score of 4 will rally the unit.  Should you have a commander within 6 inches of the unit add 1 to the dice score.  If the Army Commander is within 6 inches add 2 to the dice score.  A unit that fails to rally will withdraw from the battle line moving backwards at half speed in each turn until it reaches its start line.  Whenever the Rally Card appears again during the unit’s retreat another attempt to rally can be made.  If the unit reaches its start line that is no longer possible. There it will halt only fighting defensively for the rest of the game.

The Run Card only effects newly levied troops that may have been shot at but are not yet in hand- to- hand combat.  Throw a D6 a score of 5 or 6 is a panic. The unit turns and runs and doesn’t stop. On a 4 it moves immediately to close combat with the nearest enemy.  On 1,2 or 3 it continues to act as the player wishes.

The Charge Card applies only to French Gendarmes. Throw a D6 for each Gendarme unit facing an enemy. On a score of 5 or 6 the unit will charge the nearest enemy.  If it does so, its supporting heavy cavalry will follow in support and also charge in the next turn.

Should you have a commander within 6 inches of the unit you may add or deduct 1 to or from the dice score.  If the Army Commander is within 6 inches you may deduct 2 from the dice score.”

Now, I ask myself will this all work?  There is only one way to find out.  To that end I have begun making the Cards and shortly hope to have enough units painted to try an experimental game.

14 comments:

  1. I've been following your posts on Italian Wars with great interest having a very large stack of unpainted 15mm metal.
    I'm more interested now you mentioned solo as it's likely that's how I'll be playing!
    My options up to now are Furioso and To the Strongest once there's an Italian wars version. I'm taken by Impetus basing but less so the rules. The other option is Maximillian (DBA derivative).
    I'll be interested to see how this develops.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil. If Gonzalo works and you want a copy let me know and I'll send you one.

      Rules are interesting. There's good stuff in Furioso but I don't think it's fully realised. I've not played TtS or Impetus. DBA derivatives are no longer for me. It's not the sort of game I want to play any more.

      There's James Roach's Hell Broke Loose if you like the Piquet Field of Battle style game.

      Also, upcoming Brent Oman is working on a new rule set and there will be an Italian Wars section in Andy Callan's Christmas offering.

      all to the good I think.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I agree about Furioso - something of a curate's egg; the way the combat system works makes it difficult to convert to large (80mm) Impetus size bases I was going to use.
      Neil

      Delete
  2. Too many nice units you have their old chap that keep dragging me to reconsider this period. I like the look of your C&C, which seems nice and simple and perfect for solo play. Looking forward to more updates:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Steve I'll keep the temptation coming. I've high hopes of Gonzalo and I've tried to keep KISS in mind. You never know until you have play a few games of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting ideas, with which I very much agree. The Swiss need some form of involuntary advance as well for sure.

    Although set up can take a while, I might modestly (ahem) point out that the second edition of Piquet Band of Brothers has a LOT of what you are looking for, and is awesome for solo play, or up to about 4 players total. After that, you need FoB/Hostile Realms style mechanics to keep everyone engaged in the game. James Roach's take on the Piquet/FoB mechanics, as you note, would also be an excellent choice. On the other hand, there is much satisfaction (and many revisions!) to be had in developing a rules set yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Gonsalvo, my apologies for the omission. I should have included Band of Brothers, not least because I have a copy. Odd how the advent of FoB now dominates my PK thinking. It is the quicker set up of course

    I very nearly included the Swiss in the Charge Card. Instead I gave them two Cards. I think it will be a rare player who doesn't use them at the first sign of things going wrong. We will see if it works.

    Hell Broke Loose is grand and I hope James returns to it some day. His Stradiot rule is a brilliant innovation.

    Thinking about it, developing Gonzalo was very much occasioned by Covid restrictions. I wanted a good pick up solo game for the period and realised I could write it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries at all.
      See how the Swiss work in playtesting. Other options would include requiring at least 1/2 move forward, or a simple test to see if they MUST advance on their cards.

      Delete
  7. If I include them in the Charge Card that will give the requisite unpredictability and also provide an interesting decision as where to position the C in C.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Figures look cool and the rules sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Ray. There's a lot more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting, I've thought about Furioso and have tried TtS with draft period amendments, I do like warlord pike and shot but it could do with some period amendments, James Roach has done some work on that too. I would still be interested in your rules for solo play to try and hit the sweet spot for the period feel!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Iain. I'll send you a copy when the are done I think my next Gonzalo post will be about cavalry combat.

    ReplyDelete