Followers

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Qajar Persians in 15mm for With Talon and Claw

I had a bit of a revelation while reading through Barry Hilton’s “With Talon and Claw”rules.  These, I thought, will do nicely for the Anglo-Persian War.  The more I thought about it the more it appealed.  I particularly like Barry’s take on Eastern Armies and troop types.  While we are on matters Hilton, I’ll observe his command system lends itself very readily to the Indian Great Rebellion of 1857.  A thing to be explored subsequent.

Anyhow, in the spirit of time and tide, and faint heart and fair maid I took action. Here are my revitalised Qajars.  First, the tribal cavalry,

 

One unit bows, one guns.

A final one with lance and bow. 

 

Tribal cavalry were always fast and could be very dangerous.


Kurdish lancers looking as though they could have fought in the days of Saladin.  Their ancestors may well of done so.  His best troops were Kurdish lancers.

Next, the regular cavalry trained by a succession of French, Russian and British military advisers.   


They were not bad troops at all.  Apparently they found all the European gear a bit restrictive.

A battalion of Regular infantry variously trained by the above trio of military advisers. 

Quality was variable but some of them could have a real fight and be ready for more.

The rest of them will appear soon.   Guns, Camel Guns, more infantry regulars and a bunch of interesting irregular foot.

You may ask who were their opponents?  Afghans, potentially Sikhs, Ottomans, British and Russians.  Lots of options there.

The toys are from Irregular Miniatures.  I believe Khurasan also offer a range. 

You might have noticed that I have moved to a bigger font size. The idea is to make it easier on the eyes of the reader.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting OB, I do like the Hex bases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ray, they should be fun. Yeah, the Hex bases work for me too. One of Barry Hilton's suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much Richard. They were originally bought as a sort of substitute for getting into Napoleonics. Didn't work of course.

    ReplyDelete