A long time ago I read books about the ECW and of course the non "E" Civil Wars . I even
bought the odd edition of ECW Notes and Queries. Of real knowledge of the ECW I had not
so much. The last stand of the Whitecoats, the massacre of the women and
children,mistaken for Irish. Fierce Cornish Regiments made an impression.
Battles at Corbridge and Newburn too. The Scots put a gun in the Church tower there. That puzzled me until I learned of Frame guns. Two centuries ago quarrying in Millfield nearby disturbed a mass grave of the Scots dead slain at Newburn. A Scots victory. The English slain would have been buried on the other side of the River Tyne.
Little vignettes of
courage and desperation. That’s about it.
All the same I downloaded and printed Clarence Harrison’s
Victory Without Quarter rules for the period. It looked good and looked even
better when the rules for Highlanders appeared. I’m currently interested in English
Battles. Though an attempt at recreating Dunbar has real appeal.
Regular Readers know I’m much given to the League of Augsburg style of
gaming and Clarence is a key collaborator of Barry Hilton. I happily knew what
I was in for.
I had very few painted figures, English that is. I do have
Covenanters, Highlanders and Irish in good supply. Where were my English to
come from? For some years I have been collecting Matchlock figures from eBay. The idea was a future 30 Years War Project. I must have saved a fortune. Also the figures obtained were cast when the moulds were
young.
Today I counted. I have 10 regiments (18 figures each) of Foot and 8 (12 figures, 2
squadrons each) of Horse. It looks as though we are in business.
Now I have to paint them. Looking at the cast on flag poles
of the standard bearers I can see this is going to be a little flag project.
Fine, 3 flags a unit then.
I also need to make some cards in order to play the game. I
will show them here as they are done done. Unit Cards require painted figures as the front image. Naturally, it will take a while to complete the set. When that is done I will spay the whole deck with sealant. That's ink jet print sealant. There are, I have learned, sealants galore. They may not all be for the likes of us.
Oh, and casualty markers too. Ditto.
Anyhow, we are off and you see my progress on the page. Having sat in King Charlie's Chair (not the current Charlie) I'm beginning with the Marquis of Newcastle's White Coats- a Brigade no less.
No comments:
Post a Comment