Followers

Sunday, February 14, 2021

League of Augsburg French Cavalry and Dragoons in 15mm

 

 

Two more French cavalry squadrons here.  The first is from the Colonel General’s regiment, the premier formation of the French Heavy Cavalry.  I’ll probably do the second squadron too. 

 

Followed by the Orleans regiment.  These will both be fielded as Blade cavalry in Beneath the Lily Banners terms.  Drilled too, I think, though I may make the Colonel General’s Drilled-Elite for added texture.

A couple of squadrons of elite French cavalry to go and I’m done with the chevaliers.

Now, allow me to waffle on about 15mm LOA French Dragoons for a moment. 

Obviously, I needed some and they have to be 15mm.  I wanted them in stocking caps.  Irregular don’t do them.  Essex do, but with fur trim.  There’s nothing wrong with fur trim but I wanted plain caps. Khurasan have some but postage and taxes have to be considered-they might be a bit big too.

Fighting 15s have them, horsed and on foot, for the adjacent War of the Spanish Succession. Sadly, their horses are massive so that won’t do.  Perversely the foot will do, so I ordered some.

For mounted French dragoons I turned to Old Glory 7YW 15mm. Their cavalry are smaller than their infantry in relative terms and so might do.  I ordered them too.

I wondered had I made the right decisions?  Who knew? Seemingly 15mm as a descriptor is a mere approximation. As it turns out I’m happy enough with what I got.

Initially, I thought I could just ignore the lack of cravat and the presence of turn backs on the Old Glory 7YW mounted dragoons.  I couldn’t, so out came the green stuff.

My next challenge was finding a flag for the Fimacon Dragoons.  Sir Sydney Roundwood rode to the rescue having kindly made one available on his blog. 


So, here they are the Fimacon Dragoons mounted above and below Gladiator ones deployed on foot. As you can see the Old Glory horses are a little smaller than the Irregular ones that is just right for the period.


I’ll be doing another two French Dragoon units.  I might try a mounted unit of the Fighting 15s ones if I can get my hands on some suitable cuddies.


 

4 comments:

  1. Nice work once again:). Luckily in 10mm Pendraken have pretty much covered all the options, but dismounted Dragoons in certain hat wear are difficult to find. Not a deal breaker but nice to have the options if required.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Steve. Yes, those Pendraken are a good choice. I should have more Jacobite infantry for view here in a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice OB. I painted the Firmicon Dragoons up too, Its a great looking unit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ray. I used your blog for a final check on uniform detail for the Dragoons.

    ReplyDelete