Followers

Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Arriba é Non Pasaran and La Guardia Asalto

 


Everyone in the know about the Spanish Civil War stresses that is wasn't like WW2 or like WW1 for that matter.  The point being that World War Whatever rules are never going to do it justice.  I don't know that much* about any of those conflicts so it behooves me to heed those who do.  Hence I've leaned very heavily on Iron Ivan for Arriba é Non Pasaran.  That said I am on a learning curve and do expect my home grown adaptation to evolve. 

Today's pic's are of my Assault Guards who functioned as the shock troops of the Republic.  Click for a bigger pic'.

The Asalto's were good troops.  Drawn from the police of the Spanish municipalities they were trained men.  They knew how to take orders and how to shoot and chose to support their Government in its hour of need. 

I don't have loads of these fellows. To compensate I've given them a nice car and a truck so they can nip about a bit.


My Assault Guards have half of the Company armed with rifles and the other half with SMG.  I intend to field them as two sections with a supporting LMG.

In other news Arriba é Non Pasaran has had its first outing and will be the subject of my next post.

*Detailed first hand oral accounts not withstanding.


17 comments:

  1. Don't know what happened, but suddenly 4 months of your posts appeared in my listings! Good to see you picking up on the SCW. Sorry to see you not going down the "For Whom The Dice Rolls" route. You are right the SCW isn't WW2. Finding rules that fit that isn't always easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you. I don't know what happened either but I'm pleased it is working again.

    I had wrongly thought that "For Whom The Dice Rolls" wasn't really suitable for solo play. Of course I'm wiser now having read your blog last night.

    Anyhow that led me to see if I could work out a solo game and Arriba é Non Pasaran is what I came up with. I'm currently play testing and so far it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As some one who writes his own rules because nothing else does what I want, best of luck with your endeavours.

      Delete
    2. That is much appreciated.

      Most of what I’ve put together is shamelessly borrowed. There are bits where I can claim some originality and I’m hoping to build on those. From the game’s first outing it’s working so far.

      The next one will be bigger with more moving parts and that will be the true test.

      Delete
  3. Very nice work on these figures, look forward to seeing how your test game goes !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks rross. It should be up on Friday. It was a lively little encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work and suddenly your posts are appearing in my reading list again:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Steve and I'm delighted it's working again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work! Graham's FWTDR is a good set of rules that I enjoy. With a little effort, it should work fine for solo play.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jonathan.

    Seemingly it does-we just didn't know until someone tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work on these. I'd pick up a Bilbao Armoured car to support your Assaltos

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sound advice Neill. I thought I had one but it's something else.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking troops and even better to see you blog working properly again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aye Ray, thank you. It's a treat. Cornwall looked good in your pic's.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely work on the Assault Guards. Look forward to your post-gaming report.

    Cheers,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Helen. The report is written with lots of pic's of the game.

    ReplyDelete