Followers

Friday, August 6, 2021

Arriba é Non Pasaran and La Legion pic's

 

I spent a pleasant afternoon giving Arriba é Non Pasaran a final read through before pressing print.  Useful things came to mind in the process.  Regulars and bugle calls extending command radius for one.

My Spanish Civil War interest had lain dormant for years.  Then I read Ken's reports on Yarkshire Gamer and I thought he's onto something. https://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/2021/06/the-corunna-road-spanish-civil-war.html   That led me to Iron Ivan Games. Hence this project and Arriba é Non Pasaran.  The latter owes lots to both and to others too.

 


My next task was by way of a roll call.  What have I got and are all the bits there?  Pretty much so.  There is a Navarre shaped gap that I’m very tempted to fill.  Click for bigger pic's.

I did the unit stat’s for each contingent using Iron Ivan's Primera Batalla .  That filled 8 pages and covers all the units I own.  A dull job, but once done it’s there for good.  It’s also well worth taking the time to get it right first time.

Now to photograph each contingent starting with La Legion.  Almost always the best troops in any engagement.  La Legion took an awful lot of punishment during the War.

I’m working on the basis that support weapons and artillery can be allocated to either side at need. This seems to reflect reality-more or less and saves money too.


Mostly I’ll be pairing La Legion with the Moors creating a high-quality force.  I’ll offset this with Republican numbers and perhaps tanks.  That however will not be the subject of my first game. 

For Arriba é Non Pasaran’s first outing I’ll try the Guardia Civil and the Falangists against Grupos de Mujeres and Delgado Castro. 

A mostly militia fight.  Others may turn up when the shooting starts.

Meantime you see my La Legion in its current incarnation on this page.  I wanted to see them on my Wargames Geek* mat.  All my SCW bases are made to tone with it.

* An excellent product.  So good I bought three different ones from them.

8 comments:

  1. Nice looking Legion. The one large hole in my own collection

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Neil.

    It's an odd thing. I've spent time in the Basque Country and loved it. Yet it never occurred to me when doing this project-even when I bought a Bilbao Armoured Car.

    Stage 2 I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good work. Waiting for Martin to redo the Foreign Legion. I've made some moderate orders to Martin to build up the forces for both sides. Thanks for the link to Ken's blog- will come in handy. I'm a more Command Decision solo gamer. I like the command structure breakdown, but I do want to add some flair with chance cards to add character to the game.
    Bonne Chance!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Helen.

    I'm late come to 20th Century gaming. So I really don't know what's out there in terms of rules systems.

    I do like rules that facilitate solo gaming. Cards and random initiative are great for that. I went from WRG to Piquet Field of Battle-and never looked back.

    I'll have a test game of Arriba é Non Pasaran posted here next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers for the mention, always good to see interest in the Spanish Civil War 👍

    Regards Ken
    The Yarkshire Gamer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Ken and thanks again for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete