Followers

Tuesday, February 8, 2022

League of Augsburg- The War in Ireland in 15mm

 

Sometimes you get it wrong and then you put it right. My League of Augsburg basing system in this case.  I've moved from 4 figures on a 30x30 base for foot to 6 on a 40x30 base. Cavalry have gone from two figures on a 30x30 base to three figures on a 40x40 base.

Here is the new take.  If you play Beneath the Lily Banners you will recognise the style as the one Mr Hilton commends to us.  I’m very happy with the result.  To my eye the battalions now look more like battalions and the squadrons more like squadrons.  Above are the first battalion of King James’s Foot Guards-solid troops.  Below, Piercy Kirke's rather fierce Lambs.


Here we have Lord Galmoy’s Horse in two squadrons.  A crack Jacobite regiment.

A Huguenot battalion with one flag from Warfare Miniatures and one from Ray at Don’t Throw a 1.  Speculative in both cases, informed speculation mind you.

Two regiments of Danish mercenaries in Prince William’s service.  King James would have done well to hire them.  Perhaps King Louis was reluctant to advance him the required?

The Danes were good troops armed with Flintlocks and no pikes.  Fine for firepower, not so good against cavalry.

More Jacobites in the form of Lord Abercorne’s Horse, once again two squadrons.

A useful squadron of Gentlemen and their more prosperous tenants.  They will do for Irish Jacobites or Williamites, Monmouth's fellows, Scots Gentlemen or any number of amateur bands anywhere.  I will add two command stands with distinctive but very non specific cornets.  A castle keep on a black background and one of red and yellow bars should you be intrigued.  Castle keeps were everywhere and red and yellow combo's likewise.


I intend to rebase my whole collection.  As more batches are done, I will post the results here.  I'll likely do them by nationality.  The toys, should you be interested are mainly from Irregular and Essex.  There are a couple of Gladiator Grenadiers with the Danes.  All nicely compatible.

Did it involve extra expenditure?  Well, new bases and more infantry figures certainly, but not  more cavalry.  A mere bagatelle dear reader, a mere bagatelle. Have you seen the price of a pint?

16 comments:

  1. They do look good on the larger bases and I'm torn between this and the smaller ones, so I can use the later for some 'The Pikemen's Lament' type skirmish games. Still a long way off in the queue so plenty of time to figure things out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's the dilemma Steve.

    I bought some very large '15mm' from Mick Yarrow Miniatures for The Pikemen's Lament. They match nicely with the Donnington ones.

    Both very cost effective purchases. Full of character too. If you've not seen them check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I have hordes of Pendraken 10mm awaiting paint for the same period and theatre.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Neil. If I hadn't already committed to 15mm I'd have got those Pendraken figures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bloody marvellous!!!
    I love how the irregular minis stuff has come out too - a personal fave, and blast from the past...great work.

    ...but you know what I'm going to say about using FoB3 as the best rules for period ;)

    (...I read the book on ole Percy Kirke 'n' his lambs by John Childs and came to the conclusion that he is much maligned and his stoy twisted by re-engineered history - apparently he is only a c**t and not a full-on b***ard)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Duc, I really like this Irregular range.

    the new basing will work for FoB3 too so I'll be able to do both.

    I'm with you on Percy, there were worse men than him about. And wasn't he the great survivor? Died in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work, I'm still recovering from a sustained batch of rebasing, you're a better man than me!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers Iain, the rest of the new cavalry bases arrived today. I'm not doing too badly I stand them in water overnight and so far they're lifting of nicely.

    I'm also successfully recycling my tufts-a phrase I never thought I'd utter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking very good. :-) One day I hope I have time and energy to expand into doing more flags from that earlier period...

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks very much David. I think you are spoiled for choice with potential flag projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the word might be "overwhelmed"! I just wish there were 72 hours in the day - plus infinite energy, of course... ;-)

      Cheers,

      David.

      Delete
  11. Yes, that's a better word. Your output is very impressive all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They all look brilliant, looking forward to seeing a game with them now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheers Ray. It shouldn't be long now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely figures- nice basing- fascinating period.

    ReplyDelete