Followers

Saturday, February 26, 2022

A Highlander Host- League of Augsburg

These figures have seen more bases than some real military formations.  This, I believe, is their last basing iteration.  Beneath the Lily Banners style.  Those rules, I note in passing, capture the abilities and otherwise of Highland Caterans better than most.  

 

I had a look for unit size tips in Barry Hilton's three books War Of The Three King’s, A Taste of Victory and Every Bullet Has It’s Billet.  Barry mentions 2 stand Highland units in the first and second books and gives us a sample Highland Host in the third.  There, we see both 2 and 3 stand Highland units.  Good enough for me and as you can see, I’ve followed the example.

A word about figures.  I’ve used lots of different manufacturer’s offerings mixed in each unit.  That includes Minifigs, Khurasan, Essex, Lurkio, QRF and Matchlock and some others I forget.  The overall effect pleases me and I hope you like it too.


The Highland Gentry were likely to possess firearms and be very proficient in their use.  It was aimed fire with the Highlanders, De Saxe would have approved.  That was it though.  The average Cateran didn’t possess a gun although many knew well enough how to use one. 


Consequently, a Highland unit was armed with a mix of weapons and that is what I’ve tried to represent here.

This is my Highland Host so far. I need to add a couple of Clan Campbell flagged command bases. It was instructive to read recently that Argyle's support of William did not command universal approval within Clan Campbell.  


 
Highlanders were at their best on the attack on good ground.  They could also nip about a bit regardless of terrain.  Soon, I’ll show you my re-based Scots Regulars.  Note the heather, a special purchase. All of my Scots units are getting heather, let's hope it's lucky for them.

6 comments:

  1. They look great. I always like to see a mix of manufacturers in irregular units, helps with the look

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Neil. Yeah, a mix often works well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice looking units once again and I love the sheer variety of the flag designs. The heather is a nice touch too and will it be lucky for them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Steve. I think these ones are all from Ray at Don't Throw a 1. I'm looking forward to seeing how lucky they will be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The troops look great OB. I do like the heather on the bases too, the flags also look cool on your troops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much appreciated Ray. They are a very handy set of flags.

    ReplyDelete