Followers

Monday, October 17, 2022

Austrian SYW - The First Infantry Brigade -18mm

 

In the Age of Reason the above image was what war was all about.  Bodies of closely packed men trained to shoot a wall of lead for 100 yards or so.  The above figures are from Old Glory and they capture the firing line very well indeed.  Welcome to my first Seven Years War Austrian infantry brigade.

There is a lot of white with the Austrian infantry uniform.  White on white. Some visual variety is available via the Hungarians and the Grenzers. Above, the Joseph Palfy Hungarian infantry from Blue Moon.

 

Light infantry proved their value on many SYW battle fields.  Here we have the Karlstädter Szluiner Grenz-Infanterie-Regiment. The figures are a mixture of Old Glory and Lancashire Games.  The OG ones have more curve in the shako.

Austrian Jagers from Lancashire Games next. They were rifle armed.  These ones possibly have muskets, or maybe not.  I suppose you could cut the bayonets off. The originals didn't carry them.  Otherwise pleasing figures.


Two very fine regiments from Würzburg below.  First, Blau Würzburg ready to deliver a volley.  All from Old Glory.   

Once more because I only have one regiment in firing line.  Flags from David at Not by Appointment.  My favourite flags by far.


Rot Würzburg here.  Figures from Blue Moon and David's flags once again.

With that, the brigade is complete. 


Work on the next one is well underway.

21 comments:

  1. Excellent work as always and good to see David's flag on smaller scale figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I often think how well they look in the bigger scales.

      Delete
  2. Nice! I never considered firing line poses for my SYW infantry but your photo of one such unit looking obliquely down the line is striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it looks very impressive too. Sadly it also looks odd for most of the game. That's why I mainly go for Attack March poses. One battalion in each Army gets the firing pose.

      Delete
  3. Fine job you've done there. The Empress will be proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard. MT seems to have been a decent sort who cared about the welfare of the soldiery. Popular with the Army as a consequence. She seems to have had a good grasp of military matters too.

      Delete
  4. Hmm. I swear I responded. Did I imagine it? Did I end up in SPAM? Inquiring minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It did Jonathan but I rescued it and put it where it should be. Don't start doubting your memory!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, its good to see it coming together.

      Delete
  7. Splendid! :-) Those Würzburg flags are certainly some of the most attractive ones of the SYW.

    I am sorry I have not seen any of my early WAS Austrian flags in use by anyone yet (that is, those of Charles VI still carried by Maria Theresa's army for lack of time and cash to change them). The earlier Austrian uniform was also more colourful than the SYW one, too!

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thinking of using one for my last Austrian battalion. They look great and will help break up the uniformity of the Austrian infantry flags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; that would be very pleasing! :-) The Austrians did always tend to use flags until they needed replacing so it is not impossible that some of the early flags may have lasted well into the new reign...

      Cheers,

      David.

      Delete
    2. I've selected the flags and identified a regiment.

      Delete
    3. Great! Look forward to seeing troops and flags. :-)

      Cheers,

      David.

      Delete
  9. Probably the post after next David. I've just started the Prussian artillery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Good luck with the work...

      Cheers,

      David.

      Delete
  10. Two of my favourite regiments, beautifully painted figures. David flags always make the units pop.


    Willz.

    ReplyDelete