Followers

Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Opium Wars British in 15mm



As I have both Manchu Chinese and Tai Ping, I thought I might put together British Forces for the Opium Wars.  There is not masses of options about in 15mm but there is enough to do the job.

The First Opium War

British infantry wore Bell Top Shakos. You can get them from East Riding Miniatures or from Irregular Miniatures.  The former are bigger and I use them for the Carlist War where figures are bigger.  These ones are standard 15mm and from Irregular. 


They were accompanied by one Battalion of volunteers from the Bengal Presidency Sepoys and more Indian units from the Madras Presidency QRF make both.  Bengalis first and strictly speaking they should only be carrying the Queen's Colours.


Here are the Madras Sepoys with a Dixon British officer. For China I'd base them four to a base.  You could also paint then in green coatees as Engineers which I might do.


 The artillery are nicely represented by these US/Mex War Minifigs.  You could also use Crimean War British Foot Artillery from Irregular.


You might want some Sailors too.  Mine are from QRF's ACW range and you can see them below in an Indian setting.


The Second Opium War

British infantry now wore Havelocks or air pipe helmets.  The Havelocks mean you can use Indian Mutiny British figures.  In 15mm that means Dixon or Irregular Miniatures and I have both. Dixon first, these ones are based and dressed for the Indian Mutiny I'd suggest four to a base and obviously red coats for China..  



Here are some from Irregular with a QRF officer behind them.



Sikh War British Sepoys in peakless Shakos will nicely represent the expeditions Indian infantry.  Mine above are from QRF but you could get some from Irregular and Fighting 15s too.

Sikh and other Punjabis also served.  




Dixon have some but these are from Irregular and are painted as the Ludianna Sikhs.


Artillery should have round hats/caps and you can see your options above.  I've pressed these into service from Irregular's Early Colonial range, the guns are from Fighting 15s.


Again you could have some Sailors.

These cavalrymen are Heavy Dragoons from Irregular’s Mutiny range and are just right for China.


You might want to represent the Indian Irregular cavalry to represent Fane's or Probyn's Horse.  Here's a photo of Fane's from 1860 ish.

Image result for Fane's Horse

 I chose to do Probyn's Horse.  Here they are.



Although these fellows lack lances I think they are the best about.  They are from Irregular and it would be a slight task to give them slung lances should you wish.
.

10 comments:

  1. That's a Great little collection from a multitude for companies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ray. I need to turn my attention to the Tai Pings next. My Chinese Imp's are table ready.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice looking. Better than mine. Have you found a good foot officer figure to use as Chinese Gordon? And it looks like I need to think about getting "Taiping Era" ready for publication too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Trebian.

    No, I haven't although I think I might have found a plausible Ward. I was thinking of asking Ian at Irregular to sell me some (not so beardy) Mutiny Sikhs which you used for the EVA. I have some of them and a few are not so full bearded.

    Good news about your Tai Ping rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I rebased my figures and went from 4 to 3 figures a base I had enough spares from amongst my Sikhs to put together an EVA. There are some less bearded ones amongst them. Who are you thinking of for Ward? I thought a Colonial French Foreign Legion officer might do, but I'd need to see one first.

      Delete
  5. I was thinking of a Minifigs Western Gunslinger in duster and slouch hat with a Colt in each hand for Ward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you had a look at the Peter Pig Western character figures?

      Delete
  6. I did yes but I've already got the the Minifigs fellow. That said I think a QRF USA Naval officer might do the job better.

    Prompted by your Gordon question I've been poking about on the internet. It seems Gordon wore a frock coat and a havelock in China. QRF ACW have one but he may be a bit small for our figures. I'm going to do some more looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The size of figures is annoying. i have a whole French force from 1860 part painted from Lancashire Games that is totally incompatible with my Irregulars.

      Delete
  7. Yeah I remember reading that on your blog. It's infuriating when that happens.

    Irregular have an ACW officer in frock coat and kepi. We'd need to add a neck cloth to produce the havelock. There's a pic on their website. He's a bit lively for my my idea of Gordon but I guess even he got excited at times.

    On the plus side you can buy one of him and he will be the right size.

    ReplyDelete