Followers

Sunday, September 13, 2020

Montrose's Irish Brigade in 15mm complete




Here, it must be admitted, we scoot about from era to era and army to army.  Regular readers may well ask the question does this fellow ever finish anything?  To which I can only answer now and then I do.

In this case I have finished Montrose's Irish Brigade.  All six regiments.  The Highlanders are also done and we will be seeing them soon.  All seven regiments.  Above we see Montrose and Alasdair.


The figures are a mixture of Essex, Matchlock and Khurasan.  As you can see they all fit together in a satisfying fashion.  There are some (minor) conversions in the mix.



Here is Alasdair leading from the front.  He's from Khurasan and correctly is taller than the rest of the lads.



The excellent flags are from Project Auldearn.


The final two regiments side by side here.


I might want to field O Neill's Irish Confederate Army of Ulster for Field of Battle 3.  Should  I choose to do so the hard work is now done. The addition of 8 new command stands (rear rank of pike) will put me in business. Three bases per unit and new flags from Iain at Flags of War.  The rank and file will be the soldiers you see above.

Their opponents, The Lagan Army, can be provided by my Covenanters. They too are nearing completion.

I've also been thinking about the lyrics of Iain Lom MacDonald's "Alastair Mac Colla Chasda" and what that composition can tell us.

O Ho.


10 comments:

  1. Superb work. Look forward to seeing more.
    Now, isn't there a connection between Montrose and the Claverhouse Grahams? ...and thereby Bonny Dundee...or am I misremembering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, there should be more soon. Highlanders next.

      Yes same family. They made their mark.

      Delete
  2. Great looking figures OB. Love the flags too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Ray. I think they are a nice mix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good work! Project variety keeps one from becoming bored and stopping altogether, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jonathan. Yes, the spice of life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice looking set of figures. I went for the Peter Pig figures, but I also got my flags from Project Auldearn. They are rather nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, I saw that you were doing this one too. I have a Miao question but I'll ask it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete