Followers

Monday, January 17, 2022

Command figures - Great Italian Wars

 

 

I needed command figures for my Gonzalo Great Italian Wars rules.  Somehow, I forgot to do them in my earlier painting sessions.  The rules won't work without them.  I had to crack on and get a few done.  The Swiss were straight forward enough.  Not so the various kings, princes and nobility.   They needed flags, specific ones and no one made most of them. Some people can make brilliant flags pretty much at will.  Alas, I lack the skill set. My progress was slower and basic and I have more to do.

That said progress has been made.  Here are my French Commanders.

The King of France in the colours of the Kings of Jerusalem.  The King of France had bought the title from the last claimant.  Wearing them in the Great Italian Wars was probably a bit of visual propaganda.  I'm not sure who made the flag which shows St. Denis and the porcupine impressa.

Berault Stuart one time Marshall of France. The lion rampant is a clue to where his family originated.

Du Crequy, on the basis that his banner was easily accomplished. 

Three Swiss Commanders, each with their attendant/body guard.  

That's one Commander for each division of the Swiss Pike. 

Gonzalo De Cordoba himself for the Spanish. The heraldic elements are all ones he could claim.  I cannot say they ever appeared before in this form.  I've two more Spanish command bases to do, one mounted, one foot, and then I will be ready for a first game of Gonzalo.

8 comments:

  1. Excellent work on these command stands. If I made a survey, my Great Italian Wars collection might be short of separate command stands too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much Jonathon. I cannot believe I forgot to do mine. I'll need a few more too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great, with the black and yellow 'devil' really standing out as something rather different. Command stands are oft neglected in planning as I know to my cost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Some people paint them first. I know why now.

      Delete
  4. I think you sell yourself short; these are brilliant! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's very kind, I'm glad you like them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking command stands,I found most of my flags on kreigspiel site,I don't know if it's still around and Foundry do a couple of pages of free flags for 28mm which you could shrink and velexia? Had some for 15mm cheers Iain, if you can't find them I'm happy to forward them my email is caveadsum1471@yahoo.com.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers Iain, kriegspiel gone now. I have the Foundry and Venexia ones and I bought some more from Pete's Flags. Thanks for the offer all the same.

    ReplyDelete