Followers

Sunday, June 19, 2022

French Infantry – Beneath the Lily Banners

My decision to re-base my League of Augsburg French Army for Beneath the Lily Banners has meant some additional painting.  Six new figures for every battalion.  Also, I couldn’t resist adding 2 new battalions for the French Irish Brigade.   

A common enough experience I think. Lots to do so why not add more.

Anyhow here is the first tranche.  The splendid flags are mostly from David at Not by Appointment. I think they make the units come life.  There's a link in the sidebar.

The Navarre Regiment, I really want to add a second battalion of these fellows.


The Royal Italien Infanterie.


 The Clare Irish Regiment.

 

The Duke of Berwick's Irish Regiment.  Am I certain Berwick's had green facings?  No, consider it artistic license.

Regiment Tournaiss.

German Regiment Greder, there was a Swiss one too.  In a era not starved of colourful uniforms Greder still stands out.

All of the above have a separate base of pike men, not shown, for the earlier part of the period.

I have another 5 battalions that I will show you shortly. Before that we will see the French Heavy Cavalry.

Aztec stuff is progressing well, expect more soonish.

14 comments:

  1. Nice work! We are giving David's fine flags some exposure to, perhaps, a larger audience. Berwick, in my SYW army sports black facings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jonathan. Yes, deservedly so David's work is excellent. So far as I know black is right for Berwick's in the SYW.

    Mine are painted as above to illustrate the Jacobite difficulties in equipping their foot battalions. The post was to have been called "The Duke of Berwick's imaginary Regiment of Foot" but I didn't finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Top brushwork OB. The German Greder is a must for any French army and so are the brown coats of the Royal Italian's they are so different to the pretty boring (but easy to paint) grey of the French.
    Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray, your blog was the inspiration for this project.

      Delete
  4. Cracking work there OB and David's flags look brilliant too:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I'd say David's flags are pretty hard to beat.

      Delete
  5. Very nice work - the huge range of flags on Davids's site almost convinced me to give the SYW a go....almost, but not quite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean. I nearly ended up with a French 7YW Army.

      Delete
    2. Oh, c'mon. Dive into the period, Keith!

      Delete
  6. Lovely work on those figures. It is a splendid period for eye catching armies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Richard. It is one of my favourite periods.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look terrific! And thanks for the compliments on the flags. :-)

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are welcome David and thank you. The next five French battalions are done and will be up here soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I look forward to seeing them. :-)

      Cheers,

      David.

      Delete