Followers

Saturday, June 25, 2022

French Cavalry- Beneath the Lily Banners

The last few years have seen many a refurbishment of old figures to reflect my current enthusiasms.  These French cavalry were painted quite recently and so only needed re-basing to Beneath the Lily Banners specification.   

BLB is very accommodating of various basing convention so I opted rather than needed to re-base.   All the same I’m pleases with the result.  Most of my French cavalry regiments can deploy in two squadrons as they often did in reality. Here they are so far.  All from Irregular Miniatures.

 


A squadron of the Colonel-General Regiment above.


The Royal Cavalerie Regiment in two squadrons.


La Reine Cavalerie.


Two squadrons again.


Last, but not least, a single squadron of the Orléans Cavalerie.


I still have 2 or 3 regiments of the Gendarmerie de France to do from scratch.  Probably I’ll do two for starters.

I need to re-base my French Dragoons too and paint their horses for dismounted action.  The dismounted dragoons and their horse holders are done.

As you likely know I like Irregular Miniatures figures for this period.  Ian there offers an Army Deal 100 figures for £34.00.  That's a solid saving on the normal retail price.

ln BLB terms that would give you Command, 2 squadrons of cavalry, a gun and crew and 4x 16 figure regiments of foot.   Enough to get started should you feel League of Augsburg inclined. 

There are national/Alliance options to suit.  Worth a look.

4 comments:

  1. Your rebasing is coming along nicely. I have never purchased an Irregular figure. Perhaps I owe them a look?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some ranges are pretty good alright Jonathan. My impression is the more recent the better. At one time they were better value than many alternatives I think that has eroded a bit now. What period are you looking at?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Neil, they are very easy to paint which is a plus.

    ReplyDelete