Followers

Tuesday, May 9, 2023

League of Augsburg- Galmoy's and Pallandt and the Artillery

 

Above, feared and fearsome, Lord Galmoy's Jacobite Horse.  The second squadron in this case.  French issue uniform coats for the rank and file.  The officer may have seen previous service as indicated by his red coat.  Figures from Irregular.

Danish regiment Pallandt.  All musket armed and firelocks at that.  No pikes but impressive fire power delivered by well trained men.

Now to the artillery. Guns and figures from Roundway, Essex and Dixon.

 

Two Battalion Guns.

 

A pair of Light Guns above and below.

Going up the scale.


A pair of Field Guns. 

 

I've been buying a few League of Augsburg and Great Northern War pdf's from Barry Hilton.  Very affordable if murderous on the printer ink.  Anyhow, they are grand for a pick up game. Moreover, very inspiring for scenario design.  I suspect I will be buying more.

Consequent on all this I've finally started writing up scenarios for an alternative 1688/9 campaign. I'm aiming for historical versimilitude so some research is ongoing.  You can lose days in this sort of thing. All sorts of interesting things turn up.

Anyhow, the first scenario is written.  It involves Prince William's Danish mercenaries marching on Alnwick Castle.  The game will appear here in due course.  

It will feature George Fitz Roy's Regiment.  Who he?  One of Charles 2nd non marital offspring. The clue is in the name.  Created Earl of Northumberland naturally enough.  Anyhow, a military man and courtier.  Changed sides but easily might not have.

13 comments:

  1. Excellent brushwork Sir. Looking forward to the scenario, sounds very interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent brushwork Sir. Looking forward to the scenario, sounds very interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant work on those figures. Love the gun crews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing your ideas for an alternative campaign OB. Down here I'm a stone's throw away from Keynsham, the furthest that the Duke of Monmouth's army managed to advance, so plenty of 'what if's?' too for me to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Fascinating stuff the What if. I reckon on three linked battles. At stake control of the North East Coal Fields.

      Delete
  5. Superb work and looking forward to your campaign

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil. I'll be taking some pic's over the weekend.

      Delete
  6. Very nice additions, I think I have the Palandt regiment in my WSS collection in 28mm. I look forward to your games, I have plans to play some more of the 4Play scenarios myself, just need to get motivated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I bought the Poltava ones for the GNW too. Hopefully get to play one of them shortly.

      Delete
  7. This project is proceeding full speed ahead, with a plethora of fine figures; great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gonsalvo. I painted a powder cart yesterday so I must be nearly finished.

      Delete