Followers

Tuesday, November 8, 2022

An Austrian 18mm SYW round up

 


A bit of a mixture of manufacturers this time.  I managed to get another battalion out of various left overs from the previous ones.  It may be of interest to you because it contains Blue Moon, Eureka, Lancashire Games and Old Glory figures.  I think they work together well enough.  Indeed, you might say it gives a more natural effect.

Painted in the uniform of Wied’s German Regiment they carry the flags of the old regime.  This apparently was not unusual.  The flags by David at Not by Appointment do not disappoint.  Very striking indeed.

Next we have three squadrons of cuirassiers.  Blue Moon figures and flags from Wargames Designs.

 

Above, the 1st squadron of the Erzherzog Leopold Cuirassiers.

The 2nd squadron of the Serbelloni Cuirassiers.


The 2nd squadron of O’Donnell’s
Cuirassiers.

Unlike France and Spain Austria had no Irish regiments, it did have a cadre of very capable Irish senior officers.  Duffy's book The Wild Goose and the Eagle describes them and their doings.

The Austrian Artillery was very highly thought of.  I've high hopes of mine.

 


Here we have three batteries.

 

Once again a couple of ebay bargain limbers are deployed.


All from Old Glory with Blue Moon mounted officers.

15 comments:

  1. Very cool putting the different manufacturers into one regiment. Having all of these manufacturers in my own armies, I can spot the various figures in your amalgamated regiment. I like 'em all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it gives a good effect I think.

    I've just finished my first two SYW French battalions from Lancashire Games. Should have waited until I'd finished the Austrians and Prussians but couldn't. I was pleased enough with them to order more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the Old Glory French. I have yet to order any Lancashire Games' French but I ought to since they are presently on sale.

      Delete
  3. Big savings to be had on their sub/ Army packs Jonathan. One of the things that struck me was the size of the horses. Eureka big at the shoulder. Bigger maybe over all. The riders certainly are. That said very nice but the troopers are all single pose. I wish they had done two.

    I'll stick a couple of pics of the infantry on LAF tomorrow and you an see what you think of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my SYW 18mm project, I decided early on to stick with Eureka cavalry exclusively. No other manufacturer matches them in size. The horses are huge. For infantry as you demonstrate, most manufacturers’ figures can be used on the same table.

      Delete
    2. A good decision I think on the horses. I've now got my Lancashire order. I'll do a review here with comparison photos.

      Delete
  4. Great work. I like the mix of manufacturers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil. A bit more mixing for me in the future.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant work. The mix works a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the mix works well. All very good additions to your collection, I think. Good to see those Austrian flags in action too! :-)

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks David. I've finally got to the Dragoons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking troops! The "old regime" Austrian flags certainly are a bit different!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb inspiration, just as a largish bag of 7YW additions have landed on my doormat. Interesting to see how well Lancashire fit in, was contemplating adding them at some point in the future.

    Cheers
    Meic

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks very much Meic. Enjoy your 7YW additions.

    ReplyDelete