Followers

Sunday, November 20, 2022

Billhooks Deluxe is here

 

Billhooks Deluxe is out today.  At Andy Callan’s invitation I wrote the Hibernia chapter.  Consequently I got a copy last week.  It has first rate production values as you might expect from the Wargames Illustrated team. There are 180 pages of interesting and wide ranging content.  Reasonably priced too.  I think it will prove very popular.  


Anyhow, as a contributor I’m obviously not an independent reviewer so you must look elsewhere for that.  If you want to read my unbiased review of the original Billhooks here it is https://youdonotknowthenorth.blogspot.com/2020/08/never-mind-billhooks-review-and-irish.html   As team projects go Billhooks Deluxe was very straight forward. It was a pleasure to be involved.

 

I want to talk about Billhooks as a tool kit.  Like all good systems it is adaptable. For me this means my Crusades Game, the Flodden Campaign, The Spanish Reconquista, The Nine Years War in Ireland and my Aztec Game. That may seem an eclectic list.  Let me explain further.

 

My Crusades adaptation followed the initial Billhooks release. As a game it works nicely.  I’m currently talking with Andy on how to take it forward.  Meantime expect a couple of Crusades game reports here.

All the troop types needed for the Flodden Campaign are to found in Billhooks Deluxe.  There is not a specific Flodden chapter but that is no obstacle.  QRF have relisted the figures I need so hopefully not long now.  I'll add the various Tudor Rebellions and the Anglo French 1513 conflict are all doable with Billhooks too.

The Spanish Reconquista has long interested me and I think most of the troop types are contained in Billhooks Deluxe.  I have some ideas about Berbers that I want to explore.  Of course the Reconquista was a long process. More on this as I go.

 

I’m currently thinking about an adaptation of Billhooks for the Nine Years War in Ireland.  Some of the troop types are already there and the paired formations system is very compatible. As is the manouvre phase. All the same a big leap.  Will it work?  I think so.  I should say Irish tactics and armament in the Nine Years War were very different from those used in the medieval period.


You may recall I did a lot of work on Aztec Warfare and then got stuck.  I had a sudden Billhooks related insight on how to move forward.  The key game issue is how to ensure sufficient jeopardy for the Spanish.  Hopefully I’ll have more to say on this soon.

 

That’s Billhooks Deluxe, I like it and foresee a lot of fun ahead.  The toys shown here are mainly from QRF's Wars of The Roses range.  Well worth a look if you fancy doing the Wars of the Roses.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting using Billhooks for all these other conflicts OB. I’m really looking forward to my copy and reading your Hibernia chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyrus. If you have any questions or want to chat about it don't hesitate to post here or on LAF. I'm happy to respond.

      Delete