Followers

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

New 15mm Units for the Anglo Sikh Wars



I’ve come across some misplaced Sikh War figures and so I have more than I thought to paint.  To tell the truth it was a pleasure to find them as I like painting for the period.  Here are the first three units. Sikh Khalsa regulars from Black Hat at the top of the page.


British Gurkhas the Sirmoor Battalion from Black Hat.



These above are Irregular Miniatures.  They could be either be Sikh regulars skirmishing as they did at Mudki or Sikh dismounted Dragoons who might have skirmished at Mudki. 


Two more here, the 16th Lancers from Black Hat and another battery of Bengal Horse Artillery from QRF.  




You need an awful lot of the BHA for the Sikh Wars. These one's are, on reflection, my favourites in 15mm.

8 comments:

  1. These have come out beautifully. Regiments look very good. ...and who would have thought that Irregular miniatures, which normally have a characteristic style, would come up so well.
    Your basing also looks very effective - what is the secret?
    Will we see an FoB3 game soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm glad you like them.

    I use an undiluted nut brown ink wash on block painted figures. let them dry overnight and then add a second coat and/or highlights as suits.

    The basing is simply white glue and railway ballast with added tufts.

    Yes, more than one too. Crimean War and Taipings up first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interested in the Crimean War developments now too, after reading portions of the book you recommended.
      Having recently tried 'Altar of Freedom' for ACW it seems perfect for re-fighting Alma or similar - perhaps even more suited than FoB3 might be for the larger battles.
      I'm already looking at plastic options in 1/72.
      (I need another period like a hole in the head lol)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, they creep up on you and before you know it your in.

      I've not tried Altar of Freedom but I do have some ACW.

      Delete
  3. The Sikh War is so tempting (I picked up "At them with the bayonet!" by Featherstone in a second hand shop last year). If I'm not wrong the British uniforms are the same as were used in the first "Opium" War.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good one. I think a lot of the uniforms were the same for both.

      If you sign up for the QRF Newsletter you get a 10% discount and Ian does his Army Deals at Irregular. They both have some pretty nice and compatible figures.

      I've got to say I found myself buying more and more for the Sikh Wars.

      Delete
  4. Some great looking units OB. I do like the Ghurka's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray.

      I think I'm showing symptoms of your Haiti bug. I must have caught it at your blog. Mine will be in 15mm and using Muskets and Tomahawks I think.

      Delete