Followers

Saturday, July 4, 2020

Tai Ping for Field of Battle 3 Part 1


Where to begin?  The Tai Ping War was the biggest conflict the world had seen before the World Wars of the 20th Century.  Anything I write here cannot hope to be definitive. 

 
Instead, let me present you with the basics of a Tai Ping force that could take on the Manchu, the British or the French. I also suggest some tactical methods that the Tai Ping liked to use.  As we go, I’ll give the FoB3 stat’s that I’m using.

First let’s consider the infantry.  Most Tai ping soldiers were armed with a long spear and were adept in its use.  I toyed with the idea of giving the Tai Ping spearmen a ‘lance in first melee up 1’ type bonus against Western troops but decided against it.

Troop Type
Unit type
Unit class
Defence Dice
Combat Dice
Arms
Formation
Tai Ping
Veterans
Infantry
Veteran
D8
D12+1
Spear
Attack Column,
Line,
Square
Tai Ping
Regulars
Infantry
Regular
D6
D10
Spear
Attack Column,
Line,
Square


A minority were armed with a range of firearms. 

Troop Type
Unit type
Unit class
Defence Dice
Combat Dice
Arms
Formation
Tai Ping
Veterans
Infantry
Veteran
D8
D12
Musket
Skirmish,
Line,
Square
Tai Ping
Regulars
Infantry
Regular
D6
D10
Musket
Skirmish,
Line,
Square

On the defensive the Tai Ping could form square in the open.  Musketry on the outside protected by projecting long spears.  The Tai ping also had dedicated skirmish units.  We will come to them shortly.

Mostly though the Tai Ping preferred the offensive.  A single or double envelopment was a noted Tai Ping tactic.  The centre of the army would pin the enemy while the flank or flanks stormed in.  All very Sir Colin Campbell in India you might think.

Tai Ping on the offensive would form their spearmen in attack columns.  Whatever fire power was available would be deployed in front of the advance. I’d suggest as skirmishers.  No one has much to say about Tai Ping decisive firepower.  From what I can glean guns were only issued to veterans and regulars.


What of the dedicated skirmishers? Tai Ping skirmish units combined two elements Jingals and swordsmen. At very close range the Jingal could be deadly and the swordsmen were capable lads. 
  
Troop Type
Unit type
Unit class
Defence Dice
Combat Dice
Arms
Formation
Tai Ping
Skirmishers

Light Artillery 0-3lb
Veteran
D8
D12
Jingal
0-1  up 1
2  to 3- 0
3-6 down 1
Skirmish,
Line,
Square


Their job was to disrupt the enemy and they could only do so at close quarters. 


If attacked by cavalry the swordsmen closed formation and used their big shields to shelter the gunners and themselves.  Let’s call it a square for convenience. 


Tai Ping soldiers came in three types veterans (6 years service) regulars (3-5 years) and  recruits(up to 3 years).  The recruits were under obligation to prove themselves and often placed in the front line. Considering what was behind them flight was never an easy option.  In this case we need raw troops who keep fighting.  Accordingly, they get a ‘regular’ Defence Dice.

 

Tai Ping recruits mostly dressed in blue that seems to have been the most common colour for the clothes of ordinary folk. Fancier outfits for the veteran officers and sergeants of course.  I hope to present you with some new units reflecting this shortly.

Troop Type
Unit type
Unit class
Defence Dice
Combat Dice
Arms
Formation
Tai Ping
Recruits
Infantry
Raw
D6
D10
Spear
Attack Column,
Line,
Square

I intend to keep the new recruit element of the army at 25% or below. Another 25% as veterans and the remainder as regulars.  I'm starting from a base of 12 units so that's simple enough.

That’s it, so far.  I hope it was of interest. Should you want a Tai Ping Army Irregular Miniatures can supply the figures in 15mm. In 25mm Wargames Foundry can oblige.

If you like the jolly flags shown here Patrick at TVAG sells them.

Next time we will look at the other elements of the Army of the Heavenly Kingdom.

9 comments:

  1. Fascinating. I love the look of your figures. I continue to grind on with my Taiping project. I'll get there in a month or so, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graham. I'm looking forward to to buying a copy of your rules.

      Delete
  2. Great work.
    Don't know much about the period or setting, but you have me hooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I studied it at university. The most important conflict most people have never heard of.

      Delete
  3. Much appreciated.

    The story starts when a young fellow fails his Civil Service exam. He has a few visions, a chat with some Evangelist preachers and decides he's Jesus's younger brother. The rest is history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ray. I used to have a pic of the whole lot. Must take another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see someone else fascinated with this war and gaming it. I like that you have chosen FoB3, while I use traditional Piquet. Should RAW be D4, not D6 Defensive Die? My blog on all my Taiping battles and ruminations. I just have about 6 to 8 more Imperial units to paint and I'm done. https://dinofbattle.blogspot.com/2018/08/taiping-rebellion-valley-of-sorrow.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Eric, it was your blog some years ago that provided me with the inspiration.

    Yes, normally it would be D4 but with veterans behind them I think they would hang on a bit longer-hence the D6.

    I'm currently painting 4 units of Tai Ping recruits, 1 down and 3 to go.

    ReplyDelete