Followers

Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Macedonian and Persian Light Troops

 

I’ve decided to press on with Ancients Project.  Today we see various light infantry to suit Macedonian, Persian or Successor armies.  Some of them could do service with the Romans too.  I’ve discovered I have loads of everything but not enough of anything.  Anyhow, let’s take a look.

 

Cretan archers from Minifigs, a combination of three codes.

Cretan archers from Xyston, sold as Macedonians I think.  The Kausa cap is a clue, still popular in Afghanistan because of Alexander's Army.  Would campaigning Cretans wear Macedonian caps? I think so.  Otherwise consider them Macedonians.

 

Greek Slingers from Minifigs, another combination of codes. 

Greek Slingers, a very pleasing Gladiator and Lancashire mix. Josef Ochman sculpts for both?

 

Cappodocian archers from QRF. 

These could serve with Darius or Antigonus or Mithridates, others too. Eumenes Diadochi? I do. Handy fellows. 

The pic' at the top of the page is everyone's favourite - the comparison shot.  Here it is again with notes. From your left looking right Minifigs, Minifigs, Xyston, QRF, Lancashire/Gladiator.  Side view same order.

Next it will be Peltasts, Agrainians and Tarkabara/Cardaces.  After that more Macedonians in the form of Yxstophoroi and Hypaspists.  Not to mention 50 more unpainted Phalangites recently discovered.  When I get to them I don't know.

I find painting works best when I’m motivated to paint something specific.  At the moment it is this period.  I have got a fair few done.  All to the good as other periods are jostling there way to the top of the painting queue.


9 comments:

  1. Nice looking troops there. You've certainly spread your cash across a number of figure manufacturers in your time. Keep the good work up while the motivation is high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Richard. Back in the day buying a couple of packs at a time was the norm for me. The thrill of going to an actual shop and seeing what they had was part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite a mix a rather nice figures OB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work and I too only paint stuff that I'm in the mood for. Anything else and it feels a drag, I don't enjoy it and am never happy with the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No point otherwise Steve in my opinion. If you don't feel like doing it it will show. It is a hobby after all-we are supposed to enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Neil. I finally got some RCW stuff finished.

      Delete
  6. I'm a great believer in going with what appeals to you at that time; while the danger is a butterfly approach that sees nothing finished, the alternative is turning painting into a chore. It is supposed to be enjoyable! I find I achieve much better results going with the flow than slogging my way through something I have no enthusiasm for.
    BTW, it's perfectly justifiable to have half of Alexander's archers as Macedonian rather than Cretan as it seems he had equal numbers of each.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just so Neil and stuff does eventually get finished in my experience. Bang on about the archers too.

    ReplyDelete