Followers

Thursday, May 19, 2022

Swiss Pike for Gonzalo

 

After much delay I've returned to the Great Italian Wars.  First on my to do list was completing the Swiss Pike units. All of them intended for the French Army, hence the profusion of white crosses.  I had two units complete and one to do.  The outstanding one was one of the biggest so I prevaricated.  Above Venexia's offering and a fine one it is.  Lots of variety.

Below, we have the Blue Moon Swiss.

Another pic' of the same troops in a deeper formation.  Note that these fellows mainly lack armour even in the front ranks.  They have the long white plumes indicative of young Swiss heroes.  Accordingly, in Gonzalo, they will mover faster than their compatriots-themselves no slouches at the rapid advance.

There is much to commend the Blue Moon figures, not least an abundance of poses.  Next, we see mainly Legio Heroica figures, once more variations abound, with a few Blue Moon thrown in. Call this band the interim stage.

Finally, the completed unit and the complete Swiss contingent.  There's over 100 figures all told.

With officers from Blue Moon, one for each unit.  Swiss command was collegiate.

 

Lastly,from Museum Miniatures.

An Organ Gun, this one is destined for Imperial or Spanish Service. So, I found myself on a roll, a Swiss roll in fact. That's not a sentence you often get to write.

Consequently, I have finally got to the Imperial Landsknechts, the French ones are already done. Four bases done so far, that's 24 figures.  I'll be able to cheat of course, deploying back ranks to and from either formation.

Version 2 of my Gonzalo rules for The Great Italian Wars has been printed out too. A game is imminent.



10 comments:

  1. Very nice! It's good that the Venixia figures are available again.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciated Neil. I couldn't agree more about Venexia- a solid move by Lancashire.

      Delete
  2. This is quite an impressive effort! Few Wargaming units offer the visual impact as a densely packed pike block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I wanted them to look like a real pike block and I'm pleased they do.

      Delete
  3. Very impressive work there OB and your pike block do look great, with the mix of poses really helping:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Steve, yeah I think multiple poses help bring the thing "alive".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grand looking troops you've produced. Love the pike units. Just don't stab yourself when you move them across the table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Richard and too late already done it. God they're sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pike blocks are very impressive! It's not a period I will ever have the energy to get into but I do find it a strikingly colourful and rather exciting one, nonetheless... :-)

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks David. Yes, loads of colour and an interesting range of troop types.

    ReplyDelete