Followers

Monday, March 13, 2023

ACW 15mm Bits and Pieces 2

 


I continue to work on various ACW bits and pieces.  Above, the 3rd Louisiana Infantry.  Frock coats seem to have been popular in Louisiana.  Blue too.  This caused problems with friendly fire now and then.  These lads can keep the Tigers company.  The command figures are MJ figures and the rest from QRF.  A good fit size wise.  I have had the flag since Pontius was a pilot.  No idea who made it.


The 1st Texas above.  These lads are mostly in their original uniform barring slouch hats are replacing their kepis.

 

A Peter Pig Confederate Brigadier. 

The Washington Artillery next. More Confederate Blue.   The guns are from QRF and the gunners from  Peter Pig.  Nicely compatible.  QRF's own gunners are charming but unfeasibly small.


The Union Cavalry horse holders are nearly all done. Two bases to do. You can see two units below with troopers dismounted for action. Fast moving troops and armed with breach loaders.  Note the Peter Pig mounted Brigadier.  Horse and men from Battle Honours.


One of the things about ACW gaming is that regiments often look the same.  It can make it tricky to keep track of who is who.  Even the flags don't help that much.  The odd unit has a distinctive one, most don't.

When regiments have different abilities that can pose a problem.  Like using the wrong size combat, defence or morale dice. It can be written off as the vagaries of war but I find that unsatisfying.  

My solution is shown below.  At a glance who's who is revealed along with their combat stats and Commander abilities.  I'm doing one for the Federals too.


I have a few more units to do. Iron Brigade, Coloured Infantry and maybe another Union Irish outfit.   Not that I need them.  It's more I have the figures and enjoy painting them.  More horse holders and limbers as well. I could do with another Union battery too.

Do we ever stop adding stuff?  Not often.

12 comments:

  1. Good additions! I use QRF guns with other manufactures’ crew too.

    Do we ever stop adding? Rarely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Yeah, they have a good selection of guns. No, we never really stop. Even when we have "stopped".

      Delete
  2. Nice additions. Good idea on the stats, especially large games with nothing but a sea of blue or grey in front of you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Neil. It should help. I nicked the idea from one of the League of Augsburg lads.

      Delete
  3. Looking great OB, I used to buy at lot of figures from QRF back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ray. I was thinking of your Haiti Project as I painted a pack of QRF Black Folks. We will see them shortly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo are you going on a trip to the Caribbean too?

      Delete
    2. I've got the buildings sort of, Europeans that will do, Tousant and the lads are a bit more of a challenge. But, I'm thinking. I've got a bunch of small fellows with cutlass that might work.

      Delete
  5. Looking really good. Adding stuff is a curse and a blessing... or is it a disease!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever it is Richard there seems to be no cure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fine looking ACW additions.
    No, we don't ever stop adding stuff. :-)
    I thought be ECW troops were done 30 years ago, and in the past 2-3 years I've added a few hundred more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Gonsalvo.
    It's how we are.
    I've got a load of ECW stuff that needs attention. Mainly Matchlock.

    ReplyDelete