Followers

Friday, March 24, 2023

Return of the Qajars

 


We last saw my Qajar Persians back in ’22.  I got a fair bit done, but!  Ran out of figures.  By the time they arrived my attention had shifted.  It really doesn’t take much.

 

Caught in a painting lacuna, I thought I’d make some Qajar progress.  Here it is.

 

First, a unit of Kurdish mailed Lancers.  These are from QRF’s Turkish range.  They have some nice Persian style helmets.  I have another of these to do.

The next job was to finish the regular battalions.  Above, the Guard mainly Russians.


Mostly, this required painting 2 or 3 additional figures per battalion.


Job done and you see them here.

 

The regular cavalry next.

All lancers.

 


The Camel Gunners below-two units.  I intend treating them as ultra light artillery using cannister ranges.


There is some dispute about uniform colours.  Some favour blue others brown.  I did one of each.

 

Jezail armed skirmishers below.  Note the rests for accurate fire.  I'm tempted to have these lads fire on the Artillery Card and to give them a high dice.  Slow but sure sort of thing. Negible in close combat of course.  It is said the sound of jezails loading was like Church bells ringing.  Ominous to hear I'd say.

 

Horse Artillery, half a battery.


So, what is left to do?  A second gun and crew, a unit of regular cavary and some village militia.  I might do some Persian Field Artillery by means of conversions.  We will see.

I’ll fit them in between bouts of painting SYW French infantry. More of that anon.

Most of the above are from Irregular Miniatures.

8 comments:

  1. Love these figures OB, its a strange army almost like they're a mix of time periods?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ray. They pretty much are. Horse archers, mailed lancers, camel guns, jezailchis mounted and foot but, regular cavalry, guns and infantry too. Variously trained by by French, British and Russian military missions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful. They look fabulous. Love the basing and the cavalry on the hex bases. Is there a reason for that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Richard. Yes, there is. It shows that they are primarily skirmish cavalry who will need to execute a form up order before they can charge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice looking army 👍 I’m unconvinced the militia (armed with large mace and a small shield) would be battle-winners, but those particular miniatures do look lovely on Irregular’s website.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Geoff. As you say, but they look good. Currently I've mislaid mine. They'll turn up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some fine looking additions to a most unusual army!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Gonsalvo, I have Opium Wars Manchu too!

    ReplyDelete