Followers

Friday, March 3, 2023

1870- Another Revenant!

 


I was going to get rid of these little fellows.  They were saved by Battle Command.  As you can see they really are 15mm. Very much from the time before this.  

I have two smallish armies worth.  Pretty much all painted.  The job was to rebase and reflag them.  I have six or so bags unpainted.  Eight or 4 to a bag.  

Easy enough, except I ran out of bases.  Pendraken obliged.  I see they are selling wire spears at a reasonable price.  Ditto Colonel Bill's.


The basing system is (nearly) that suggested by Brent Oman author of Battle Command.  It suited the amount of figures I had.  The key line infantry ones no longer are available.  Luckily, I have enough for a decent sized game.

I'm liking the look of it so far.  The cavalry look dashing but doomed. We will see them shortly. The infantry like the coming thing.  Longer range rifles and looser formations.  They still carry flags which is nice.

I cannot remember when I bought the figures, certainly at least 15 years ago.  They are from QRF but, originate much older with Fei Korps 15.  I'm guessing mid 80s. If you know shout out.



I've surprised myself with this one.  I couldn't resist the idea of doing a few Battle Command Franco-Prussian War games.

I'll show the full Armies for both sides here shortly and a game or two too.

A blast from the past then but not without charm or utility.  I'm glad I kept them.

As you can see the formatting on this post has gone awry, Blogger is a mysterious thing. 

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, they seem to have stood the test of time.

      Delete
  2. Lovely troops. I love this period and FPW in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard. FPW should be interesting what with both sides having different technical advantages.

      Delete
  3. These fellas are fab! Like Richard, above, this is another favorite period of mine. Just finished fighting the 1859 Battle of Montebello yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I'm quite taken with them too. I'll check your blog for Montebello.

      Delete
  4. A good decision to keep them, I'd say, they look beaut. I'm all for true scales in this age of scale-creep and invented new scales!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb work there OB and these days anything 1848 - 1871 really ticks the boxes for me:).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Appreciated Steve. I'm adding a few ACW units too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look super. The FPW is very interesting tactically, especially if you allow the French even slightly better command than they had!

    ReplyDelete