Followers

Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Chariots Rampant? The Infantry


Lion Rampant v2 (LRv2) introduces the concept of Strength Points. This is an alternative to figure removal. I want multi figure bases, so far so good.

What of Bronze Age infantry? Diverse to be sure. The militia of the Palace Culture, full time professionals, wild tribesmen. 

Then there is armament. For some there is armour. Bowmen, do they line up in rank or run about skirmishing. Luckily LRv2 can accommodate all of this and more. Choices to be made, all of them subjective.

I’m was inclined to go for 4 figures a base for the look of the thing. Three figures a base would better enable “Wall of Spears” . Two bases wide and two deep. 


Resolution came in the Goblinoid frames of my Gladiator Bronze Age figures. For them three is company enough on a single base.  Note, I'm following Keith at Bydand blog's example with these rounded edge bases. 

Let us have a go at a Hittite Guard unit. Pretty much unarmoured saving a helmet and small shield.  Used to fighting and capable. They can throw javelins and fight close up. I’m opting for LRv2 Light Infantry so:

  


Models per unit

12

points

6

Attack

6+

Attack Value

4+

Move

5+

Defence Value

4+

Shoot

6

Shoot Value

5+ Range 6”

Courage

4+

Maximum Move

8”

Armour

2

Special Rules

Veteran, Javelins

 

Now some Hittite archers. As we have a pretty elite force in mind let us make them veterans.

Models per unit

12

points

6

Attack

7+

Attack Value

6

Move

6+

Defence Value

5+

Shoot

6+

Shoot Value

4+ Range 18”

Courage

4+

Maximum Move

8”

Armour

2

Special Rules

Veteran

 


Now, on to the soldiers of the provinces.  Light infantry once more with 2 units. These fellows can do well on the defensive forming a “Wall of Spears”.

Models per unit

12

points

3

Attack

6+

Attack Value

5+

Move

5+

Defence Value

4+

Shoot

-

Shoot Value

-

Courage

4+

Maximum Move

8”

Armour

2

Special Rules

Wall of Spears

 

If we add a Chariot Unit for the final 6 points we have a complete LRv2 “Warband” of 24 points.  Our General can be found in one of the 2 chariots. It is a nicely balanced force.


Now, it happens that I have another unit of Hittite chariots. To field that I would need to lose my versatile Guard unit or both of the “Wall of Spears” units or my veteran archers.



That said 2 units of chariots supported by Guards and archers strikes me as the sort of force a palace might rapidly deploy against raiders.

Where to next on this one?  Libya I think. I bought a lot of Bronze Age figures years ago for a good price. 

I also have a fair few Assyrians or Neo Assyrians I'm never sure which they are. They are still unpainted and from Colonel Bill. Mainly Chariot Miniatures with a few Essex I think. Very nice figures and whither Chariot Miniatures now?

I have worked out how to rate the Assyrian 4 Horse Chariots. I will simply treat as single model as the equivalent of a two model 2 Horse Chariot unit.

I'm resisting the urge to start painting them immediately. 

In my experience you cannot go wrong with Colonel Bill. Good price, good service, swift delivery.  We must speak as we find. On that note Lion Rampant v2 continues to impress. A happy purchase.

18 comments:

  1. You have done a nice job on them. I have a box of them forlornly unpainted, bought when released for DBA armies. At the time I was into black undercoat and 3-4 layers of base and highlights, even on 15mm, hence they never even got cleaned up!
    Must do something with them....
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Neil. I was a black undercoat fan too. It made for dull colours. Now I use a tan brown. If I'm feeling sophisticated I use a bit of white on that for the parts I want to be brighter.

    You should do something with yours after all you paid good money for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two good post there OB that have got me to a thinking on getting some Bronze Age troops in a way that is not too much to paint. Plenty to ponder for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Lancashire Games still have their sale on. I have some of their Bronze Age figures and I like them. Not too much to paint with the Libyans as barring penis sheaths they are naked.

      Delete
  4. A lot of interesting reading there OB and some lovely miniatures on show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks very much Donnie. Libyans next, then Sea Peoples, then a chariot dog fight. There is more too. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jonathan. Your blog provided the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nicely done OB and thanks for the mention re inspiration for rounding base corners!
    As it happens, my mind is moving in a similar direction...Ancient figures and a smaller scale.....should be quite exciting and something a bit different for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, I'm loving the bases.

      I look forward to seeing your Ancients Project.

      Delete
  8. Very nice idea- and the figures look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. If the whole chariot thing works I'll be delighted.

      Delete
  9. All the figures look pretty cool, OB, as do the bases, round edge and all. Col Bill do us all a great service. Wish he still came down our way to visit shows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Ray. Yeah, Bill is a Northern Boy as far as the shows go. I've got a League of Augsburg addition coming that might be up your street.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As usual, lovely figures along with interesting information.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Richard and much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete