Followers

Saturday, October 12, 2024

Yellow Ribbon Variants- Apache and Seminoles

 


Yellow Ribbon justly found fame as the Plains Wars gaming experience. The sections on Mountain Indians (think Chief Joseph and the Nez Peirce) and Apache are often overlooked.  Less showy I suppose. Yet the Yellow Ribbon touch is just as sure in these theatres.

Without much of a stretch you can use the Apache rules for the Seminole Wars.  Simply replace mountain and desert with the Everglades. 

As you have doubtless guessed I have some Apache and have bought some Seminoles.



These fellows did not fight like Plains Warriors. Although horses could appear.  The individual style of fighting was not for them. No counting coup, no emphasis on  warrior heroics.  Rather the aim was to collectively kill the foe.  All of the foe.

Truth to tell I have had the Apache for decades. They are from mostly QRF with a few Minifigs and a Hovels Mexican. 

The Apache and the Comanche constantly raided Mexico. They burned, killed and took prisoners. Depending on their age the prisoners became slaves or were adopted and brought up as Indians.

The Mexicans responded by putting a price on the head of every Apache. Man, woman and child. Scalp hunters assembled like Carrion Crows.

The Comanche also waged a war of near extermination against the Apache. It wouldn't make much of a game. The Comanche rode up out of nowhere and killed every Apache they could find. Then they went home. 

All very bleak. 

Here are my Apache on foot.

 


You really don’t need many figures for a good game. Here are my mounted Apache.

 


That’s it.  A transfer of my US Infantry from General Crook to General Miles and it is game on. May be a section of cavalry too, mules also. 

I already have Wickiups. Mine are from QRF, the smaller ones. They do big ones too. I bought the smaller ones because young Plains Warriors used to build and use them.  To avoid vexing the adults no doubt.

I feel the need to buy some Cacti.  Irregular or Peter Pig can provide them.  Scene setting. I have an excellent Geek Villain Desert Mat and there we go-Apacheria in miniature.

Florida terrain is going to be more of a challenge. My uncle told me that while he was golfing there an Alligator shot out and ate someone’s dog.  Irregular make an Alligator or maybe a Crocodile. In 15mm it won’t matter which. 

I may need one. You know the sort of thing throw triple ones and the Alligator appears.  Hungry. Throw a 6 on a D6 and you are lunch.  Throw a 5 and everyone does a full move in the opposite direction. Throw 1 to 4 and everyone blazes away at the Alligator.

QRF has two packs of Seminoles.  They include Africans who had escaped slavery. A nice touch.


The Chief pack above and the Warrior pack below.



Here are the Black Seminoles.  Good for Maroons I think. 


In fact the turban wearing Seminoles would make good Maroons too.  


The Seminoles favoured a sort of Mohican cut. You can see it in the Catlin paintings. QRF give us a 3 figures like that. 


Unless you think Maroons looked like the A Team's Mr T, that disbars those 3 poses. You could always add a turban with green stuff.


Between the two packs there is sufficient variation. I have not bought any Seminole civilians and probably won’t.  However many Plains types women and children could do.  A bit of translocation will do the job if I need them.


I did need to buy some US Infantry due to leather shako requirements.  I also bought a gun and crew that I have yet to paint.  


Here are the infantry, QRF once more. I have painted some of them as "Red Leg Infantry" that is to say Gunners deployed as infantry.


In pretty much any American conflict armed civilians turned up. These could be local settlers, formal or informal militia, or just the sort of fellows addicted to carnage, rapine and loot.

 


Once again note the small number of figures required for an interesting game. I'm minded to give it a go with Musket and Tomahawk too.  

The light was a bit tricky when taking these pic's. Hopefully it doesn't spoil your viewing pleasure entirely.

Somewhere I have additional Seminole figures for this. I'd like to find them.  Their exceptional field craft not withstanding, I will-eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment