Followers

Sunday, August 30, 2026

Montrose's Regular Scots Regiments

 

Farqueson's Highland Regiment. Note this is conventionally  armed with pike and shot. Securing the Highland pikemen is a bit of a challenge. Met in this case by turning to Gripping Beast who now sell Lurkio Miniatures. You will notice the Lurkio pike men have a targe. I'm living with that, as clearly they have not yet engaged. Targes can be slung on the back.

All of the Centre Stand figures saving the standard bearer are from Lurkio. He is an old FK15 from way back when. The remainder are from Essex. There are some conversions. Flags from Project Auldearn.

Moneymore's Regiment comprised of men in Highland and Lowland dress. Once again a Pike and Shot unit. The plaid wearing pikemen are my conversions from Essex Italian Wars Light Pikemen. For the rest a mixture of Essex and QRF. Flags are from Project Auldearn.

Above the Strathbogie Regiment, the best known of the three we see here. Raised in the Clan Gordon lands it provided good service to Montrose. Once again the flags are from Project Auldearn.

Sometimes McKenzie of Seaforth's Regiment could be found with the Royalists. It is on my to do list. I printed their flag today. I went for a neutral saltire sans slogans to allow for changing sides.

To finish with our Scots regulars we can conclude with Montrose's Cavalry.

Above, the Gordon Horse. I would like a second squadron for this unit. Visiting Caliver Books, the home of Matchlock, I was delighted to buy another 6 of them.


Above the Ogilvy Horse.  Here I have used an Essex Scots trooper alongside the Matchlock horsemen. Not too bad at all. 

Montrose had a small Life Guard unit and I have the right flag for them. I'm tempted to do it-one stand only.

I'm not sure what we are having next week. I'd like to present Montrose's Irish Regulars all at once. They aren't finished yet. 

It might be Highland Clan units. A handy place to remind myself, and perhaps you Dear Reader, that the Clans won at Kilsyth while their own Regulars stood guard.

Overall progress on this project hit a bump in the road. I needed standard bearers for another & Scots units. My usual source is the QRF FK Range. They reside at Little Corporal these days. Little Corporal is highly problematic to deal with. My last order took 6 month to arrive. So that is out.

A shame as I'd also like more of their dismounted Scots Dragoons too. I do have enough to do another unit that would do for either side at a push.

Luckily for me Martin at Peter Pig does an open handed pack of Scots Lowland Pike and a pack of open handed Irish Pike. The Irish are wearing trews and are perfect for a Highland unit. The Lowlanders can have a green stuff sash and will fit right in. Astute Readers will note that is my Highland pike men problem sorted too.

The project marches on. 

There we leave it amid the skirl of the pipes and the thunder of hooves.

Shortly I will be able to show you my World War 2 Chinese and Japanese. A  new and unexpected interest.

2 comments:

  1. More nice work OB - I particularly like the Gordon Horse - well worth a second unit!

    ReplyDelete