Followers

Sunday, June 16, 2019

Six new units for the Sikh Wars





I’ve belatedly come to realise I need more toys for my Sikh Wars collection.  That’s need not want.  I always want, but try to keep it in check.  Most Sikh War battles were big ones.  I had to set to buying and painting.  Progress has been made.

Here are two units of sepoys from Black Hat which are now produced by Fighting 15s.  The one above is finished the one below awaits its colours.


Next three units from Irregular Miniatures 15mm  Sikh War range.


The first unit is of Bengal Irregular cavalry.  I’ve mixed in 3 of Ian’s Bashi Bazouks from his Crimean range.  I added a hanging plume to the officer’s helmet and added skirts to some shell jackets to produce a kurta.   

Brent Nosworthy tells us one particular unit of Bengal irregular cavalry was very effective in combat, to the extent that questions were asked in high places.  Their secret weapon was revealed by a post battle investigation.  They sharpened their swords properly -to a razor edge.  Truly, that is it, most British cavalry didn’t bother much. Nor, we must assume,did the other units of Bengal irregular cavalry. 

As a consequence British troopers struggled to actually injure, as opposed to disperse, their Sikh mounted foes.  The Sikhs would duck low over their mounts neck and take the blow on the shields strapped to their backs or on their many layered turbans. A similar thing happened in the Crimean War when Russian thick great coats proved proof against a cutting blow.

History, like life, is full of surprises.

A Sikh battalion in Summer uniform.


A battery of Bengal Artillery here.


I wanted the British 60th Rifles these ones below are from Fighting 15s.  I may using green stuff build up their caps into covered shakos.  I should have done it before painting them.  Ah well.


As most of us know a collection is rarely finished but I think I can see the finishing line on this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment