Followers

Monday, September 26, 2022

Austrian and Prussian Seven Years War Cavalry-18mm

 

Yes, it is time for the bigger brushes for the cavalry.  I have lots of these fellows to paint.  Three brigades for each side plus the impulse buys.  All in all it is a bit daunting. 

My morale maintaining method is to paint the command stands first and add the flags.  First though I paint all the unit's horses and their tack.  Then I glue the riders on having painted the tricky bits, sashes and what not.

So far, it’s working.  Let’s see the progress so far.

A squadron of Prinz von Preußen Cuirassiers for the Prussians.  Blue Moon figures.  I will have 3 squadrons of Prussian cuirassiers eventually.

The von Wechmar Hussars, also seen above. Blue Moon again.  Due to impulse buying I will have 4 squadrons of Prussian hussars.

 

Note their heretical flag.   A war-gaming point - not a religious one. We know King Frederick ordered his hussars to return their flags.  I had the figure; I had the flag.  A Not by Appointment one at that.  It had to be done, and it looks so nice.  Further Prussian hussar historical transgressions will follow.

Now, to the Austrian Hussars.  These are all from Blue Moon.

First up, the Nádasdy Hussars.  Duffy wrote that the Austrian hussars were not only often tactically misused but also mainly outnumbered.  An attempt was made to call out the traditional levy (Insurrection) of minor nobility and gentry to serve.  Ignoring their obligation they didn't turn out. Nádasdy reported that those who did were mainly townsmen and peasants.  All in all maybe Honours of War got it right?  I'm mulling it.  We may come back to this one.


The Paul Anton
Esterházy Hussars here.  One more Austrian Hussar unit to do.  You will note the Esterházy are in a more irregular formation.  


This is informed by my reading that Austrian hussars were not trained as battle field cavalry.  The latter being a short hand for what their heavier comrades (and Prussian hussars) did.  Anyhow, I think it looks more dynamic.

 

The Austrian hussar flags are from Wargame Designs, and will do well enough I think.  They would likely look more impressive in 28mm.

Now, what remains to be painted in terms of cavalry? Three more units of hussars.  Six units of Dragoons and three of Cuirassiers.  I'm scared to count the infantry.  Also, 4 bases of Prussian artillery.  One Prussian and six Austrian guns and crews are thankfully done. 

10 comments:

  1. You are making terrific progress! Like you, I prefer to base my irregular, light infantry in a different manner than the regular, battle cavalry. 15mm or 28mm, they still look impressive. For my 18mm SYW armies, I prefer Eureka cavalry as Blue Moon horses seem much smaller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Yes, I recently got a couple of Eureka mounted officers. I can see the appeal. Also I like the look of your SYW cavalry units on your blog.

      Delete
  2. Nice work OB and I'm not a big fan of painting cavalry, mainly due to the tack and all the fancy stuff on Hussar uniforms etc. Luckily I can leave a lot of stuff off in 10mm, which helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Yeah, it is fiddly stuff. I do like 10mm but everything I have is geared to 15mm.

      Delete
  3. IIRC there were a couple of Prussian hussar units which used captured French standards after having to hand theirs in.....
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life saver Neil. I'll try that argument when challenged.

      Delete
  4. I think you've done a sterling job on these OB, I like the way you've based the unformed Nadasdy Hussars and the flags correct or not look cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks very much Ray, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking troops to grace any table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Richard. I got a couple of Austrian light infantry units done over the weekend. Soon it will be time to tackle the line infantry.

    ReplyDelete