Followers

Sunday, September 4, 2022

Reds and Whites

 


You may recall my Spanish Civil War project last year.  It was an unexpected departure for me and proved to be a lot of fun.  Lightning has struck twice and I now find myself writing a set of rules for The Russian Civil War.  You could call it a steppe change. 

The game is pitched at the same level as Arriba e Non Passaran and the first draft is near complete.  I only have to factor in armoured cars and the like.

Once again it is a card driven game

Research is ongoing and toys are being painted.  I’ll have more to say soon. Although I may just show you a game.   Meantime here are my first three White units. 

Kuban Cossacks here.

Siberian Cossacks above.

White Officers Battalion with a splendid flag.  My first three Red units below.

Red cavalry at the gallop.  Some of the better Red cavalry units used the old Texas Ranger tactic ride in close and blaze away with a revolver.

Well equipped Red regulars above and, below and top of the page Red Sailors.


All the toys came from Peter Pig.  As with their Spanish Civil war range I found the figures very pleasing.  That said my various horses for dismounted cavalry are from QRF. 


They make World War 1 Russian ones which, see above, do nicely enough with Peter Pig.  The horses match better than the foot figures in my view.

Initial inspiration for this project came from Trebian's RCW games at Wargaming for Grown Ups.  Here's a link.  http://wargaming4grownups.blogspot.com/

For research I mainly relied on Mark Plant's excellent Russian Civil War site here. 

https://pygmywars.com/rcw/history/articles.html 

More on this one soon.  Should it be of interest my draft rules are called Reds and Whites.  There's imagination for you.

A final thought, if you enjoy a good historical novel try Mikhail Bulgakov’s “The White Guard.”

18 comments:

  1. Looking good! Peter Pig figures have a distinctive style and character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jonathan, they do. I don't prefer them for every era but I really like them for the 20th Century.

    BTW, I have been enjoying reading your blog. The 7YW posts and seeing your figures have enabled me to finally get a couple of units of Austrians and Prussians done. I thought I'd given up on that project but happily not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The RCW is a great era for variety and lots of unusual units - I have some Brigade Games 28mm Bolsheviks on the painting table as we type! I look forward to seeing how your rules work when you get that far - so far, we have used either Red Actions by Perfect Captain or, more recently. 1914 by Great Escape Games.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RCW after SCW? Are you following me around?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks that way Graham. Good luck with the new rules venture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think an interest in the RCW follows one in the SCW (and visa versa). While very different, I think the mix of ideologies, troop types and foreign intervention appeals to wargamers almost as much as the different uniforms.
    The SCW even looked back to the RCW for inspiration IRW, although armoured trains never took off as much!
    I have some RCW Piggies myself in a box somewhere - another unstarted project!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that's a good connection between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some great looking units OB, who knew the Cubans fought with the Russians??? ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. All about cigars Ray as I understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great models. I can't wait to get more info on your rules development with RCW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, I should have more to report soon.

      Delete
  11. Way back in 2014 I played in a great RCW game hosted by Jared, and using Filed iof Battle as modified for WW1/RCW:
    https://blundersonthedanube.blogspot.com/2014/09/the-russian-civil-war-tran-siberian.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Gonsalvo. I shall have a good read.

      Delete