Followers

Thursday, February 16, 2023

The Scots at Flodden


Now the additional figures have come from QRF. I can finally get some units completed.  Above James King of Scots.  

Above, the Guilds and levies of Edinburgh.  Note the very nice flags from Ray at Don't Throw a 1.  The first flag shows St. Margaret who began life as a Northumbrian princess.  She married the King of Scots. 

Next, I need to do the Earl Marischall's retinue.  That will give me three units for the Scots centre. And the guns of course.

The Scots artillery, 3 guns in all.

More pike men.

The Men of the Borders under the Home and Maxwell banners.


With Highland flank guard under a Gordon flag. I need to add another Highland unit for the Borderers other flank.


On the other side of the central units there will be more Highlanders.  One unit is done and another is in preparation.  Below, you see Clan Campbell.
 

Both of these will be full Clan levies.  The well armed Nobles and gentry supported by less well armed clansmen.
 


There we are, three units to go, one of pike men and two of Highlanders. In time I'll add some Border Horse too.  I have the figures already.  Baring a few that I'll badge with the St. Andrews or St. George's crosses the rest will be interchangable. As they were in life.

8 comments:

  1. Excellent units. The figures and basing gives them nice animation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Richard. I'm pleased with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. Its a battle that has always interested me since as a child we read the poem Battle of Flodden. Naturally being a Durham man, I have little sympathy with James who was a fool to do what the French wanted. Its a difficult battle for the English to win, but James had very little choice but to come off Branxton hill. Will you be adding pike units with pavises? I always thought they were an interesting idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Durham City is one of my favourite places. I first visited as child and still go back there.

    Yes, I have some pavises. I'll probably do one unit of pike with them. You're right about James having to come off Branxton Hill-no option.

    Speaking of the French. There was a unit of French Men at Arms with the Highlanders. I may do one as I have already found a suitable flag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness, I thought those were 28mm figures until I saw the 15mm tag. Absolutely brilliant brush work and banners. Flodden is one of those projects that I have attempted and abandoned several times. This is inspiration to give it another go! Magnificent eye candy.

    ReplyDelete